STDs Expert Forum
vaginal blister

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

vaginal blister

Hi, I'm slightly freaking out.  I have a blister on my labia that I've had for about 5 or 6 days.  About 2 weeks ago I fooled around with, but did not have intercourse with a man I know.  We were both nude, however.  The blister appeared, but I have no other herpes symptoms.  I got a cold last week ago, but it was just congestion and sneezing, which I still have.  But, it could be attributable to the changing weather and the room I had to sit in at work had no heat for that week.  I've had no fever, itching, pain or swollen glands.  Is a blister in this area ever just a blister?  I also suffer from frequent folliculitis and sometimes cysts on my thighs and buttocks....could they be related?

Thank you for your time.
Herpes has to be a consideration for any blister-like lesion in the genital area. but herpes isn't the only possible cause.  Certain systemic illnesses or allergic reactions can cause it, for example as a side effect of an upper respiratory infection, which you clearly had.  Local irritation like a chemical burn, vigorous rubbing, etc. could be responsible.

It would be helpful to know more about what it means to have "fooled around" without intercourse.  Specfically, if the even included genital apposition without penetration, or cunnilingus, that would increase the chance your lesion is herpes; if not, the risk is lower.

Bottom line:  See a health care provider immediately.  It was a mistake to wait even 5-6 days; the delay already makes it much harder to diagnose herpes either visually or by viral culture.  But the sooner you are seen, i.e. the fresher the lesion, the better.  (A general message to all readers who are concerned about herpes:  it is very important to see a knowledgeable health care provider ASAP after onset of lesions you suspect to be herpes, preferably within a day or two.)

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I have a question unrelated to this, but the quota was full, so yeah.  Okay.  Hypothetical situation:  This girl has mononucleosis, and her boyfriend doesnt (as far as he knows).  Can the girl transfer her mono to the guy if she performs oral sex?  and How long afterward is she contagious?

thanks.
oh and another question:  I know mono is pretty much a virus that if you get it, it usually doesnt come up again later in life, even if you're exposed to it.  Well heres the question.  If you're getting over mono, and your other is doing the same, would kissing the other have any effect at all.  I mean both parties already have it, would it affect healing?
I have a similar problem.  I have been married 6 years and I have 2 children, and I have never been unfaithful to my husband and it is extremely unlikely that he's ever been unfaithful to me.  Since the birth of my second child (2 years ago), my labia minora has protruded more than it did before, and I occasionally get these little sore places on them.  It's only one little place and it feels like it's a little hardened place, and it's very small. It irritates me when I walk, etc.  Herpes has crossed my mind, but it seems impossible for several reasons.  One, I have been in a monogamous relationship for 7 years or more.  Two, a few months before I got married, I had an abnormal pap smear, and they told me it could be either herpes or cervicitis (I believe is what it was called).  A biopsy proved it to be the latter, and they froze my cervix to get rid of it.  Three, I have never had anything like this before I had my second child.  Four, it doesn't scab over unless I pick at it (which I've only done once trying to figure out what it could be).  Five, it only happens after pretty heavy and hard love making with my husband.  And six, my husband gives me oral sex at least twice a week, and he has never had any signs of anything, anywhere.  I guess my question is: Could this be something else besides herpes?  Does it sound like herpes?
A related discussion, HERPES? was started.
A related discussion, Vaginal Blisters was started.
A related discussion, blister??? was started.