STDs Expert Forum
weird feeling

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

weird feeling

I have this weird thing that I wanted to ask about.  About 2 weeks ago I had protected intercourse.  It was a bit rough and consisted of masturbation(on her part to me) as well.  Anyway, about a couple days later I started feeling the tip of my penis.  I dont know how to explain it, I have had a UTI a couple of years ago(Not STD related), and it doesnt feel like that at all, its not painful, it doesnt burn, and the urin flow is fine.  Its just that I can feel it kind of like I need to urinate, but not like that, its kind of like when you have a  bad headache and it goes away, but you still feel your head, anyway I dont know how to explain. Any ideas? maybe because it was rough? does it sound like an STD?  by the way there is no discharge of any kind, no back pain, no anal pain, no rashes, no itching, nothing other thant what I have tried to explain.  I am not that worried because I was protected but does this sound like anything? If not how long does it take to go away?

From your description, I really can't distinguish with any confidence between physical irritation and an infection, such as nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) or a nonsexually transmitted urinary tract infection--except that the latter is very rare in otherwise healthy men.  If "protected" means a condom that was in place before there was any genital contact or penetration, then it is unlikely you acquired NGU or any other STD from that particular encounter--but you don't say whether that was your only recent sexual exposure.

Be on the lookout for abnormal discharge, even if very scant, often easiest to see first thing in the morning before urinating.  If present, or if your symptoms continue, see a health care provider for a professional exam and urinalysis.

I'm curious how certain are you that your past UTI was "not STD related".  In young men (under age 35), bacterial UTI is pretty much limited to men who participate in unprotected anal sex, to those with certain anatomic abnormalities of the urinary tract, or to men who have had urinary tract instrumentation or surgery (e.g., after hospitalization when a urinary catheter was in place).  Unfortunately, many health care providers--including urologists--do not know this, and a high proportion of sexually acquired NGU is misdiagnosed as UTI.

There are exceptions, though, and your diagnosis may have been accurate.  This probably doesn't matter with respect to your present symptoms.  I raise it as a general education point for all viewers:  be aware that >90% of men who experience discomfort in urination and/or discharge from the penis have an STD; and some health care providers aren't aware that non-chlamydial NGU is sexually acquired.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD

Good luck--   HHH, MD
Firstly, thanks for the response.
Yes, that is the only sexual activity I had lately, and Yes I used a condom.  

I have searched for a discharge, there is none. 2 years ago my urologists sent me to get a urin test as well as a chalmydia test, and an ultra sound, and there was nothing.  

regarding the discomfort in urinating, that is the weird thing, there is not discomfort in urinating, everything is fine, its just that I can sort of feel the tip of my penis when I am not urinating, hard to explain, but it has been 2 weeks ago so is that too long for the symptoms to persist or am I still in the "Clear" as far as an infection goes?
Thanks again
And one more thing, during the part where there was no penetration, maybe the masturbation consisted of her hand not being on the whole condom which means contact from the condom to the skin. would this cause any contraction of something?
thanks
No infection is likely to transmitted to the genitals from the hands. I am quite certain nothing serious is going on.

Best wishes--   HHH, MD
Thank you Again