STDs Community
which STDs can cause tiny red bumps on the tip of the penis?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I've been tested repeatedly because I've had painful urination. Everything always came back negative until recently (got diagnosed w/ a urinary tract infection).

I was concerned I also had something viral like HSV but my blood tests and urethral cultures were negative for this (note: I'm still concerned I may have gotten a false negative on this). I had flu like symptoms and some tiny red spots on my penis approx 8 days after getting oral from a new girl.

Assuming an STD is causing my UT infection (maybe chlamydia), what can be causing tiny painless bumps on the head of my penis, as well as abnormally-wrinkled skin on the tip ?
How were you diagnosed with a UTI?

How long after your exposure did you blood test for herpes?  How long have you had the bumps and wrinkly skin?

If your repeated chalmydia tests were negative, then you don't have it.  You need to move on from that.

AJ

The bumps and wrinkly skin appeared approx. 2 weeks after getting oral sex from a new partner (one time thing); this encounter was in mid-January, I got tested for HSV via swab as soon as I felt symptoms (approx 10 days after exposure), and once again around March 8 (so maybe 7-8 weeks after exposure).

I got a message from my doc saying my urine test had high levels of bacteria (but he didnt say what) and he left my a scrip for norfloxacin , which i just started yesterday. Previous urine tests had shown nothing, and previous swabs were also negative.

Just wondering though ; which STDs *could* possibly cause the tiny bumps/wrinkly skin which hasnt gone away since it appeared in late-January ?

CORRECTION

I meant to say I got a *blood test* for HSV and HIV on March 8  (not a swab... the first test was a swab.... both neg. )
I can't think of one std that would cause wrinkly skin, but warts, herpes, and fungal infections can cause bumps.

AJ

.... these are tiny bumps, barely visible if I'm totally flaccid. They become raised if I get any kind of bloodflow--sort of noticable when I urinate and very visible when I have an erection. Only on the head of my penis, with a bit of redness on my foreskin.

They have not completely gone away since they first appeared in late January (approx 2 weeks after sexual contact--only received oral).

Does this sound at all consistent with HSV?
Not at all.

UPDATE***********

my family doctor just called me with my urinalysis results.

This sounds odd, but they found strep (same one that causes strep throat) in my urine. Could this cause any symptoms that seemed to be STD-related? i.e. uretheritis, red spots on tip of penis, flu-like symptoms (but no sore throat or anything like that!)

While my doc was on vacation his colleague put me on norfloxacin, which seemed to help the urethritis/urgent urination.... but I still have urethritis that comes and goes, and the tiny bumps on my penis.
Well, I don't know much about strep a in the urine, but I would imagine it would produce the same symptoms you had.

You need to follow up and make sure you are getting the right treatment for that, and if you need any other testing, since it appears, from a quick google, this could be bad for the kidneys.

Good luck,
AJ

I just gave another urinalysis test Saturday, will hear back on it this week.

Symptoms are diminshing but still somewhat noticeable; some urethritis (pain while urinating, dicomfort ejaculating), wrinkled skin/tiny bumps on the head of my penis, and a tiny bit of opaque discharge when I haven't urinated in a few hours. I have had all these for months now and they have never gone away completely. If the latest urinalysis comes back neg. on everything, I am going to go to a sexual health clinic to get tested.  

One question while I wait to hear back.... assuming potential exposure on January 12, is it possible to register a false neg. on a blood test for HSV and HIV taken on March 9?
No.

AJ
RNM I have exactly ..and i mean exactly the same symptoms as you please let me know if you found out completely what this is!!!!!

damn999 as of right now I only have been diagnosed w/ strep in my urine

Ill have the resuts of another urine test later this week

if that shows nothing, I'm going to a sexual health clinic
rnm ive been doin some research and it is possible that the strep bacteria causes urethritis...i had a test for urinary tract infection and there was no sign of bacteria.  I have been taking antibiotics and the burn is slowly going away but the other symptoms you described are remaining the same... any insight on what I may have?
Did they do a urine test to look for white blood cells in your urine?  Its possible you had NGU, which is urethritis, and you can get that from unprotected oral sex from normal mouth bacteria.

What antibiotics are you on?

AJ

I've taken several antibodies, inc. doxy, cipro and most recently norfloxacin.

The norf. helped alleviate what I think was a full-blown UTI (sore kidneys, very frequent urination)  but the other symptoms still remain (urethritis now just in the tip of my penis, rest of my UT feels OK).

They have checked for WBCs in my urine and didnt find any last time (dont know about this time, got tested the other day).

they found wbc's in my urine when my doctor used the dipstick technique in my urine.  I am praying do god I dont have herpes..I need some encouragment.
Damn - WBC's would be from a bacterial infection, not herpes.  What antibiotics are you taking for that?

RNM - Your symptoms should continue to alleviate while you take the meds.  Hang in there for a few more days, and you should see some more improvement.

AJ
auntie jessi my uroligist prescribed me a very low power of tetracycline....i am slowly getting better...The burning during urination is getting much less but the other symptoms are still there
As with RMN - if your symptoms don't steadily improve, follow up with your doc.

AJ

so, my urethritis has mainly gone away (still hurts a bit from time to time but not that serious) but the skin irregularities are still there--namely, I have tiny bumps on the head of my penis that become prominent whenever bloodflow increases (i.e. urination or erection).

These bumps occurred approx. 2 weeks after possible exposure (showed up around Jan. 27), and have never gone away since. Some times they are redder than others (seems to be stress-related).

My question is: is it at all possible that herpes can cause what I've described (tiny bumps that never completely vanish)? If it matters, I'm uncircumsized.
Nope, herpes would completely vanish.

AJ
rnm I think we both have a case of balanitis due to bacterial infection.  The foreskin creates a place for bacteria to multiply.  My urinary tract also felt pretty normal after antibiotics and still have a bit of a burning sensation at the tip...These tiny red bumps are a symptom of balanitis..I also have the symptom of dry skin on the testicles could this be from antibiotic, bacterial, or herpes...still really scared that I may have herpes even though my symptoms have lasted over a month

damn999 lets hope youre right and that we both have something bacterial rather than viral.

however, I've got new cause for concern...I  just developed a rash in the inside of my right thigh. It seemed to be brought on by strenuous exercise yesterday (I noticed it this morning). I'm going to go to an STD clinic as soon as I have some time off of work (about a week from now) and get tested once again
This really sounds like it could be a fungal infection.

I know work can get in the way, but waiting a week won't help you if it is herpes.  You need to have a doc see you within 24-48 hours of symptoms appearing.

AJ
auntie jessi can you develop a fungal infection from receiving oral sex because thats all I've ever had...
I repsonded to your other thread.  It wouldn't be from the oral, but the antibiotic.

Since its hard for me to keep up, if you could, just keep your questions to your own thread that you started.  I'd really appreciate it.  :)

doctor called me today, latest urine test still shows strep...

reading up on strep on wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strep#Infectious_complications

it lists "herpes" as a complication of strep..... what exactly do they mean by this?? is it that strep will trigger a herpes outbreak.... or that it makes you more likely to contract herpes ??
I would say that it means that strep would trigger a herpes outbreak.  I have no idea why that's listed there, and I don't know if they got that from the book source, or if that was cited as a source for that opening paragraph under complications.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it.  Wiki is a good source, but it sometimes is wrong.

Aj

.... now on my 3rd antibiotic, symptoms still persist... I'm guessing I'm going to test positive when I retest for strep. Any thoughts on what this means? why is it not going away.... and what complications can it have?

I'm still not 100% convinced that all my symptoms are caused by strep... e.g. minor rashes on my thighs, bumps on the head of my penis that have never gone away since they popped up approx Jan. 26
I don't know.  If you think its herpes, then test.  I don't think you'll rest until you do.

But I can't help you with the strep.  Have you posted that for the docs?

AJ

AJ:  from your experience, is it possible for any kind of bacterial infection to cause tiny red spots/bumps on the head of the penis?

They have come down a bit from their worst point but have never gone away entirely since they popped up in late January.

They look like tiny red pin-sized spots, but become slightly raised when I have an erection.... they also look shiny and pink when erect (sounds weird I know)
No, but fungal infections could.

Have you followed up with your doc about this?

AJ

AJ,  I've recently been re-tested for strep in my urine and it was negative. Symptoms have gotten better but haven't gone away completely. I'm waiting to go back and see my Dr. again... in the meantime, I took some photos showing the external symptoms I've mentioned. Is it possible to post them here or PM them to you?
Hey there -

I'm glad the strep finally came back negative.

And I don't look at pics.  I'm not a doctor, and even a doctor can't diagnose you over the internet.  What did your doc say about them?  If you haven't shown the bumps to your doc, you need to.

Aj

I took pics and sent them to my doctor. I thinks it is fungal, maybe from the antiboiotics I was on for my UT infection (which doesnt appear to be 100% gone yet). He gave me a script for hydrocortizone+monistat. I'm not convinced that my external signs are fungal...

can a fungal infection cause tiny bumps that do *not* itch ?
Sure.  Just try the meds.  

AJ
sounds like we have the same problem...it's annoying that the doctors can't seem to figure out what is going on...please let me know how the hydrocortizone cream works out. I read online that perhaps protopic cream could help...idk...i should go to the dermatologist...good luck dude!

I've been using the cream for almost a week now, and today I found I was losing skin off of the head of my penis--no pain, just basically shedding skin from the affected area. It's pretty unsightly right now.

Is this normal, assuming it's a fungal infection and the monistat/hydro cream is working?
Did your symptoms ever go away? I am expiriencing the same thing