STDs Expert Forum
window periods for STD's

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

window periods for STD's

Hi Doc, I recently posted in HIV forum as I was concerned over the risk of unprotected oral sex that I received, this was answered by DR Jose, who said I don't need testing for HIV  as it posed No risk, however he said that I should undertake testing for STD's since then I have tested for Cyhlmidia, Gonerhea at 2weeks 6 days post exposure via swab= Negative and Syphilis via blood test at 3 weeks 4 days this was Negative, I have read conflicting things regarding window periods and would like to know if these are conclusive or do I need retesting and if so at what timescale

many thanks look fwd to your prompt  reply

Welcome to our Forum.  I agree with the advice that Dr. Jose has provided to you.  In answering your question, I think it is important to point out that we provide advice based on an integrated consideration of test results and the signs and symptoms of infection.  In your case, the exposures you describe are certainly no risk for HIV and low risk for other STDs.  In the absence of symptoms and with negative tests, at this time my assessment is that you were not infected through the exposures that you've described and that you do not need further testing.  All's good.

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
failed to mention that I have not expeienced discharge or canker sores
thanks
Very many thanks for your help and quick reply, very much appreciated!
Regards
I'm glad I could help.  EWH