STDs Expert Forum
worried about hepatitis B transmission

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

worried about hepatitis B transmission

Hello doctor,
First of all compliments for the work you are doing here.
Already learned a lot from reading the posts here.
Now I am worried that I might have got infected with Hepatitis B.
I went to a sexworker. I used a condom.
But still I am worried.
Two hours before I went to the girl I shaved my genital area. After shaving I discovered two tiny wounds (caused by shaving) on my scrotum. They had the size of a pin head. So they were very very small. I guess they bleeded a little but after about 10 minutes they were dry (no blood anymore) and no oozing.
But... during sex the lady was very wet and her fluids leaked on my scrotum (on the spots).
Then I freaked out and started to worry about catching a disease from her vaginal fluids on my tiny cuts.
I allready learned here that is is impossible to catch HIV like this.
But now I am very scared that I might have caugt Hepatitis B (off course assuming that the lady herself was infected, wich you will never now for sure). Because everywhere it is stated that Hep B is much more infectious? Or can I assume that the wounds were allready closed for infections?
So please, doctor, clear me up on this. And please tell me if I have to undertake some action.
Thanx for your help!
Welcome to our Forum.  Your risk of getting hepatitis B (the only form of hepatitis spread through genital sexual activity- hepatitis A and hepatitis C are not) from the exposure that you describe is close to zero.  While hepatitis B is more infectious than HIV, few people have HIV and there are no reports of this infection being spread through the sort of superficial contact with sores and cuts that you describe.  When a person cuts themselves, the cuts begin to heal and seal off, reducing the potential risk of infection as soon as the cuts occur.  You can safely assume that, if your partner has hepatitis B (and it is unlikely that she did), you were not susceptible to transmission through any cuts or nicks that you might have gotten from shaving.  I urge you not to worry.  No testing is needed in this situation.  EWH  
Thanx a lot doctor Hook!!
Glad to help.  Take care.  EWH