SURVIVING NEUROLOGICAL LIMBO LAND - NO DX User Group
Can fasciculations be triggered by ECG electrodes?
About This Group:

This is a group for anyone who is currently living in limbo land with a neurological disorder but doesn't have a diagnosis. Many people are living with chronic and disabling neurological problems which mirror such diseases as multiple sclerosis, lupus, M.E., Fibromyalgia, Lymes disease, Vitimin D deficiency, Migraines, Parkinsons yet have no diagnosis and are left to literally struggle on alone. I have set up this group to help support people through their journey, whether its just for a moan, sharing a joke, experiences, advise on how to survive just plain anything. I know there are a lot of us out there. Anyone who feels lost, or needs to share or just wants a big hug please join, there will always be someone to give you support. OUR MOTTO IS: "we are still all in this together..no matter what point of our journey we are in...limbo, dx. or just joining...we are all here for a reason...to seek support, make a friend and find answers..."

Founded by MrsAristotle on October 2, 2009
521 members

Hello everyone
I'm a new limbolander - in fact not even really started on the journey as not yet seen a neurologist.
I have been plagued by widespread fasciculations (sp?) all over my body inc face and tongue but most pronounced in legs, back and in my neck. I can remember when they came on exactly as it was the day I had electrodes fitted for 48 h ECG in July.
I'm also experiencing a load of other 'strange sensations' - pins & needles, numbness, cramps, twitches, 'internal vibrations', 'strained' muscle feelings, feelings in my jaw as if I've been blowing up a balloon, shakes, tremors and vibrations. One of the most persistent sensations is a strange feeling in right of my chest as if someone has pulled a wire tight: it makes me hoarse and have an itchy cough. But then it goes off an I feel perfectly o.k.
My GP referred me to a neurologist and an appt was made for October 15th but this was cancelled and I haven't yet been allocated another one.
I'm going quite mad with worry about MS and recently about MND.
I've suspected MS ever since my 20s/30s - always had a lot of numbness/tingling/pins and needles. In past I could never get anyone medical to take this seriously  but now the symptoms seem to be getting rapidly worse and I'm terrified I may have MND, especially at night lying in bed when fasciculations are worst.
My GP attributed symptoms to anxiety but I feel I'm anxious BECAUSE of the symptoms not the other way around.  Fortunately that GP retired and I have a new one who at least seems to take me more seriously.
Questions are:
1. Could fasciculations be triggered by ECG electrodes? Could they somehow have 'set my nerves on edge'?
2. Could palpitations be caused by something neurological?
3. Can neurological problems cause an 'ischaemic ECG' i.e. lack of oxygen to heart?
4. Can neurological problems cause an abnormal ECG?
Although I've had neurological symptoms for years my recent problems began in January when I had a sensation as if I'd swallowed a stone in the centre of my chest. I went to hospital and they told me I had had a heart attack because I had an 'ischaemic ECG'.  I've had a whole battery of heart tests now including an angiogram which came back clear. The only abnormality is the 'ischaemic ECG' and  benign premature ventricular contractions i.e. heart has an 'extra' beat. Could these be caused by lack of oxygen and could the lack of oxygen in turn be caused by weak muscles in lungs or blood vessels caused by neurological problems?
I'm 61 y/o and eat a v healthy diet, exercise and for years have had no health problems. I feel quite desperate at times.
Please can anyone help?
1 Comment
I think you should be discussing this with a cardiologist.  You may have what is called a "comorbidity."  Two diseases processes the confuse the picture.

Questions are:

Not likely.  ECG can only leak very low levels of current (<=10 micro amps).  Fasciculations are typically related to benign causes related to discharges within the muscles themselves.  When fasciculations are associated with CNS disease, it is typically a grey matter (or anterior cord grey matter) disease.

Yes and no.  The heart has its own natural pacemakers.  Hormones and chemicals released into the blood stream can effect those pacemakers. Increase stimulation of the vagus nerve can slow your heart.  Releases of adrenal hormone can increase your heart rate.  Anxiety can cause hormones to be released

There are cases where the body can release hormones and chemicals that cause constriction of the coronary arteries that could present as ischemic changes (inverted T waves/ST changes) on an ECG.

There are none that I know of directly.  Even massive brain damage, doesn't stop the heart.  Typically, breathing stops and the lack of Oxygen in the circulating blood causes hypoxia in the heart muscle that leads to arrhythmia.
brainfried commented on MY NEUROLOGIST SACKED...
dralj commented on MY NEUROLOGIST SACKED...
dralj commented on Mad I'm absolute...