Worried Family Member
Hello. I am worried about a member of my family, a young man, he has a diagnosis of schizoid personality disorder. I am worried that he does not seem to have a good quality of life at all. There is one main activity he likes but he does not have funds to take it further. He cannot work due to the effect of the disorder and the family are trying to help him get disability benefit at the moment.

I am finding it hard to get any advice or information. Can anyone suggest anything? I would be very grateful.
I don't have much to offer in the way of advice for disability.  He might qualify for food stamps.  If he has worked in the past, he may qualify for unemployment.

I do, however, have hope that recovery is possible.  It might not look like the life that you leave, but there can be a better life for him.  The thing that helped me the most was a Peer Support Group.  Check with your local mental health facility to see if one is available.  At the time I started attending, I was not interesting in getting better.  I did not have the energy left in me to try.  However, just going to the weekly meetings started me on a path of recovery.

You are such a blessing to this young man.  I, too, had family members who helped me through a most difficult time - they saved my life.  How loving you are to help him through this!  Take care of yourself, continue to reach out to others for help.  And one final bit of advice.  We schizoid personality types can find associating with others to be anxiety-producing or even painful at times.  Although my dream always has been, and continues to be, a world where I welcome lots of people into my home, the reality is that I do best when I take other people in small doses at a time.  So, keep that in mind.  Prayers that he can live in recovery.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
arkashlucas commented on HIV Risk In Perspecti...
Aug 02
Moejordan commented on HIV Risk In Perspecti...
May 25
greenday123 commented on Negating 'What If...
May 12