Schizophrenia Community
15 year old girl, and rather scared

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

15 year old girl, and rather scared

I am 15 and I have trouble sleeping. I had my first sleep paralysis dream a couple months ago (It runs in my family), and since then I have been experiencing unusual things. Ever since I was a kid I have had, I guess what you would call panic attacks, but never as severe as the one I had a week ago. It was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced. I was sitting curled up on my stairs crying, and I was hearing people talking like a buzz in a mall, with all the voices intermingled and it grew louder and it almost echoed in my ears. I had a strange falling sensation the whole time and trouble breathing and I was sure I was going to die. I had a strong urge to go further up the stairs and hurt my twin sister. We got in a huge fight and she smashed a light bulb on my arm, which is what started the whole thing. I wanted her to keep the light on because I am scared of the dark, and it helps me fall asleep when the light is on. I was imagining horrible things, violent things that I would never do! I wish I could explain what was happening better, but it was just too bizarre and terrifying for me to put into words.  I am very scared that I am experiencing schizophrenia symptoms, and I am to scared to tell my mom about  what has been happening. I am scared she will think I am lying. I don't know what to do.
I understand that the experience is very frightening but it would be neccessary to speak to a doctor about it. If you have had episodes of sleep paralysis and a falling sensation with trouble breathing a neurologist would need to run further tests to rule out epilepsy and other causes. It might not be psychiatric but only a doctor could determine that but it would be neccessary to seek help as soon as you can. All of this is very treatable.
Screen name got cut off. You could post in the neurology forum as well.
I really think that you need to share what is happening to you with someone in your life you can trust who will take you seriously. By keeping it to yourself you are feeding your fears, which could make matters worse. What you described is complex and a doctor really is the best person to give you an explanation and put your mind at rest. Try not to worry, lots of people experience odd events / dark thoughts and it does not neccessarily lead to schizophrenia. Please let me know how you get on :-) Take care