Schizophrenia Community
A girlfriend with psychosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

A girlfriend with psychosis?

Hi i'm Terrance & I have a girlfriend Sarah we live in london. I need to know if she has psychosis? I would ask a doctor but we have to wait a week in advance. Anyway this is whats happening.

My girlfriend we've been together for a month now. She told me she feels like the whole intire world is going to turn into Zombies she says she wants to prepare for when it does she says she don't know when but she's absalutley determind it's going to be really soon.

& before you ask has she been playing or watching Zombie movies or games & the answer is no, she is also dreaming about them sometimes she'd be to scared to sleep she always has nightmares every night. I walk in she  jumps up very very quickly I walked in at one point & she had a knife in her hand along with an ash tray.

her moods change very frequently.. She seems to panic more at night about the Zombies locks the front & the back doors top to bottom. & another thing the other night she had her back to the t.v because I was straightening her hair she says she always feels like something or someones going to come out of the t.v to hurt or grab her.

Her sleep is so deprived she has to stay up 2-3 nights just so she can sleep the following night sometimes she sleeps to much like 12 hours the most. She used to self harm but no longer she thinks about it at times but she always says 'i'm not going to do something permenantly stupid while i'm temporarily upset' shes smart really smart.

If you're wondering.. she doesn't smoke we're both non smokers. & totally against drugs. She sometimes thinks people are up to something. She thinks people are watching her on a t.v & sometimes talks to her self & no one is there trust me no ones there she admitted that trufily she confessed all this last night because I asked her to, she trusts me I have to get answers pronto.

If you can kindly tell me what might be going on i'd very much appreciate it alot! Thanks man It means the world right now...
   From what you are describing there is a potential of both psychosis and mood disorders. Those can occur in combination in a variety of psychiatric disabilities such  as bipolar with psychotic features or schizoaffective disorder such as I have. However only a psychiatrist could provide a conclusive diagnosis. Its best to keep track of any specific concerns and what occurs and if they happen all the time or vary during moodswings. Then that information could be provided to her psychiatrist who would better understand how to diagnose and treat her.
Really? What would happen if its left un treated ? How would life be for her? I don't want to lose her i'd be broken :( what if she gets institutionalised? Is it the best way forward? I just want the best for her & for us...
    The most important thing now is that she follow up with seeking help and treatment. Sometimes if a psychiatrist determines its needed hospitalization (which these days is generally short term) can be of help. I know it was for me decades ago. If a person has concerns that are severe (generally the critieria is "dangerous to oneself or others") they can be hospitalized involuntarily. However the point is for the person to seek help before it could potentially reach that point. You are doing the right thing to encourage her to seek help and things should work out.
Well I'm not saying she has these, but I was told that people with schizophrenia and/or bipolar disorder both recover less and less each time they have a full blown episode.  I have schizophrenia and my mental function is deteriorating badly right now.  Mine was left untreated for almost two decades since I had it as a child and no one suspected anything even though there were warning signs.  It's important to treat these disorders aggressively and early on.