Schizophrenia Community
Do I have Schizophrenic Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Do I have Schizophrenic Symptoms

During the end of year 2005, I was going through a very deep emotional setback.You can say I went deeply into deprenssion.During this time, I was staying in a PG.One night around 3am, I got a call from my room mate saying she is standing outside and since its too dark outside she is scared and wants me to open the door immediately.
I woke up, switched on the lights and opened the door.As soon as I opened the door, I couldnt see anybody outside and it was pitch dark.I called my friend by her name and suddenly she came running from the dark and stood right in front of me.I got scared as she appeared suddenly from dark and she was also wearing a black dress.She came in scared and told me that she saw somebody running towards the bushes in the house garden in front of our house.I heard that consoled her and slept off.While I was sleeping, i got a feeling that my room mate has suddenly gotten up and is trying to strangle me.Although I was asleep, I couldnt move my hands or feet and couldnt even breathe properly.I started chanting god's name and suddenly I felt freed.I turned and looked at my room mate's bed and she was quietly lying asleep.After that a sudden fear came into my mind and I couldnt close my eyes after that.After a few days, I started feeling a presence of one lady wearing a Burqa (Black dress worn by Muslim Ladies) sitting next to me.I would feel her presence everywhere I would go.I couldnt sleep for days and had to switch on the light while in the nights.Slowly I started requesting my other PG mates to sleep with me.I couldnt sleep alone.This lady would always keep staring me.I could make out it was not for real and it was just that I am assuming it to be there.From naked eyes I couldnt see her just her presence.I even stayed at my cousin's place for 1 month to come over it.Later I felt I had to give something to a poor to get rid of that Muslim lady.I did that and may be psychologically gathered all energy and got rid of that feeling some how finally by Aprill 2006.Since then I have never come across that feeling but a fear is there and I keep thinking what it was though I have netver come across that thing again.I keep getting scared at the thought if I had a schezophrenic attack and if it can again come up ? Kindly help !
If that started while you were sleeping and you had a feeling you couldn't breathe it would be worthwhile to see a neurologist and have them run a sleep test. Then they could see if a further referral to a psychiatrist is needed.
I think more than the breathing problem it was as if somebody had held both my arms and legs tightly and I couldnt move my body...When I got up I was fine.
That sleeping experience is more common than you think. When you are asleep and you dream your body experiences paralysis and cannot move. Sometimes people wake up in their heads so to speak before their body and find that they are half conscious and half awake - but cannot move, and things are going on around them. This is called a hypnopompic hallucinatory state. Many people describe a sensation of someone 'sitting on their chest, holding them tightly, or squeezing' them in this state. The phenomenon is well known - in the distant past historically this was believed to be caused by a supernatural being caled a succubus. Of course now we know that this is just a normal sleep experience. I know many who have experienced it. It can feel so real that it can trigger off powerful feelings, one friend of mine joined a paranormal society after it happened he was so convinced. Perhaps this is what you experienced and then linked it to the other stuff.
I would go and see a doctor if your fears continue. Good luck.
This article might interest you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Paralysis
Yes you are right and this is exactly what I felt that very moment and even after that at times.Do you think this is normal and I need not worry about why it happened ? Also, what do you think of the feeling that followed after that incident of having seen a Muslim lady following me wearing a Black Burqa ? Although I never got that feeling again ever since it subsided within 3-4 months.Still the whole incidence keep bugging me and I keep thinking why it happened to me ? Do I having anything wrong goin on with me ?
Thanks...it really helped !
Hi, it is difficult for me to say as regards to your experience of the 'presence' of the muslim lady. What I will say is that many people who do not have a mental health diagnosis claim to have gone through profound paranormal experiences. This is not to say that your experience was paranormal as such, but that it may be within the boundaries of so called 'normality'.
If your experience was linked to schizophenia there are a lot of other things that would be going on for you now as the illness usually takes a chronic course and typically does not get better without medication, so if you have not had anything like that from 2006 I would assume that it was not related.
However, If these feelings return I would definately go and seek professional opinion, and try not to worry about it in the meantime as this will only add to your anxiety ( I know easier said than done). If it's any consolation I have had some really weird unexplainable things happen in the past (and not linked to psychosis), and I've had to put them down to some of life's unsolved mysteries because I couldn't figure them out either!! Take care
I agree the sleep thing is very common, waking up and feeling paralised or held down in some way and still half asleep.

About the muslim woman. You know what happened happened and it is not happening now.  I have a friend who had one psychotic experience, he was under extreme stress, he saw people on the streets faces changing and melting.

He understands himself pretty well and this taught him something about how he had to change aspects of his life.

It also sounds to me that you handled it very well, you had support and you recovered.  Mind yourself, I guess it was an episode of hallucination/psychosis.

You did well and you are doing well now, I hope you remain the same.
Thanks buddy...its such a relief now.You wont believe till the time I joined this forum I was going through hell.I think I can attribute it to many factors like I get scared quite easily ever since I was a small girl.But even now i am scared of too much of darkness around.Thanks for sharing your views...they really helped ! God Bless !!
Thanks ! it really helped