Schizophrenia Community
Geodon vs. Abilify - Same Dopamine action?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Geodon vs. Abilify - Same Dopamine action?

Regarding negative symptoms in schizophrenia, abilify is said to stimulate dopamine where needed.

Does Geodon do this also? I can only find info that says it works with serotonin/Norephinephrine reuptake which helps negative symptoms.

Does the Geodon work like the abilify also by stimulating dopamine where needed or does it just block it?

Thank you!
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
   Abilify (as well as Saphris and Fanapt) are serotonin dopamine agonists. They do work in a somewhat different manner from Geodon and other atypical antipsychotics (from Risperdal to Geodon) in that they do affect serotonin receptors and they work somewhat differently on dopamine receptors and what you said has been noted by some studies although they are still trying to understand the specifics of how it helps. However the effect they have as regards how they function as an antipsychotic is similar to other medications. Antipsychotics that will function is a clinically different manner from all known antipsychotics are still in clinical study. However each person responds differently to each medication so how a person will be helped by a specific medication depends and this could be discussed with a psychiatrist. The full information would be on the medication website as well as the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) and this information could be discussed with your psychiatrist.
Blank
Thx. Because Geodon may not stimulate dopamine the same way does that mean its probobly less effective at treating negative symptoms? I am on 100 mg Geodon total daily and have bad negative symptoms. I dont want to be "losing out" where Abilify could be helping better in this area possibly.
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
   People's response rates vary as regards different antipsychotics. If you find that a specific medication isn't helping on certain symptoms of concern best to discuss it with your psychiatrist and they can adjust and/or change your medication as needed.
Blank
Geodon didn't work that great for my negative symptoms but like ILADVOCATE said, people respond differently to medications and plus I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder with prominent negative symptoms so that might have something to do with it.
Blank
Also, I forgot to write until after I hit post, that Abilify works better for my negative symptoms but not as good for my positive symptoms.
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
geodon and abilify didn't work for me :)
Blank
Thanks for the responses.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Schizophrenia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979