Schizophrenia Community
Ginkgo Biloba and Efficacy of Meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Ginkgo Biloba and Efficacy of Meds

Does anybody know if ginkgo accentuates the effect of antipsychotic medications?

I have been on 120 mg. ginkgo for five weeks, and three days ago I raised the dosage to 240 mg. a day.  I feel a definite calming, and I suspect that this is due to a strengthening of the dosage of meds that I am on.

The web indicates that a substantial dosage of ginkgo may increase the efficacy of antipsychotic medications.

My psychiatrist does not, by his own admission, know anything about herbal medications.

Thank you for considering my question.
     Yes in some tentative studies (you can put the search phrase ginkgo, schizophrenia in Pubmed to find the article, a doctor or psychiatrist could access it in full) it shows it may have that potential but given that ginkgo has some potential side effects of concern as well as interactions best to wait before raising the dose any further until your psychiatrist could research that article and potentially speak to a doctor who might have some understanding of natural remedies and discuss what is the best procedure for taking them with other medications  and how they might potentially be of help.
what other meds are you on?
In response to drifter's question, I take Navane, Trilafon, Valium, and Buspar.  I am already considering reducing the ginkgo (per iladvocate's response), due to a tremendous sense of ennui.  This at the beginning of the fourth day.  I do not think it wise to go down on my meds.
There is so much information on the web about this you would think that it would be easy to form a view. Unfortunately much of it is also conflicting. I did find an article that seems to pull a lot of the information together into one place. My personal view is that Ginkgo should be given a try.  http://sbxsupplements.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/the-importance-of-ginkgo-biloba-in-treating-schizophrenia/
I found the web site easily.  Thank you!  I upped the dosage to 120 mg. twice a day two days ago, and, on this, the third morning, I feel definite calming.  I have searched the web for "ginkgo and anxiety" and found good hits.  I am affected by light, and as August moves along, each year I normally have to increase medication.  This year I am trying ginkgo instead, because of reports such as you have found.   I appreciated hearing from you.  Have a good day.