Schizophrenia Community
In school with schizophrenia?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

In school with schizophrenia?

I was wondering if anyone here is in school and has a diagnosis of schizophrenia. I was also wondering what you do to be able to handle being in school every day. I'm having a difficult time and I don't exactly have friends who can help me through. Does anyone have any tips for how to handle life in school?
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
    Yes when I went through college the most important resource I used was the office for students with disabilities that provided the accommodations I needed for my disability (which is schizoaffective disorder). Also there were specific student groups for people with disabilities that were helpful as well. I also was able to interact with students without disabilities but this provided the frame work for it.
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
i can't read without visually hallucinating it's wierd
Blank
I need to have personal professors. That would be a good special accommodation. I have to give a 50 minute presentation, and I'm worried that my disorganized thoughts will get me way off track. Do you think it's reasonable to ask a professor to give me a sign if I get off track? Do I need to have signed up with the students with disabilities thing to ask for that?
Blank
Have you found any way around that?
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
   I know that I received assistance from a tutor several times. There were other accommodations I received such as a person who would take notes for me. Any accommodation has to be a reasonable accommodation as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act in that it would work within the structure of the class itself and work expected. Yes you need to register with the office for students with disabilities but they keep any record of your disability and accommodations confidential. Its best to work with them to see an appropriate manner of how to request the accommodation from a specific professor and class. Sometimes they can assist with that if needed.
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
i need a ruler to isolate the other lines in a column or the words run across the page :)
Blank
Thanks for the advice. I need to look up that service at my school...
Blank
I see. I'm glad that works. I hate the visual hallucinations.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Schizophrenia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...