Schizophrenia Community
Latuda Atypical AntiPsychotic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Latuda Atypical AntiPsychotic

I have just been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. I was on abilify but, I was taken off of it today and given Latuda instead. Has anyone else been on this med before. Did it help a lot?
i took abilify it didn't work for me :)
I'm currently on latuda. I've read anecdotal accounts that it works wonders for people who have had little luck with anything else. Currently I've been taking it for about 5 weeks with no change in my symptoms. Of course, nothing I've tried ever really works.
Hi. I took abilify for a while, and almost constantly increasing it's dose (or it felt like), and it never worked for me either. I just started Latuda as well, like you. I will let you know how it goes, and hope this one provides you some relief as well!
Thank you :)
Read what Peter Breggin has to say about anti-psychotics. Just Google his name.
I take Abilify and it works pretty good for me.  Geodon made me emotionally distant from my wife while I took it and made a zombie seem more responsive than I did.
   Yes I am aware. It would also be worthwhile to update yourself as regards new treatment modalities in clinical study as regards antipsychotics that have not been shown to cause tardive dyskinesia or diabetes. Try this link if it works:
http://www.neurotransmitter.net/newdrugs.html
Then google the individual antipsychotic agents. The research continues to progress and if it goes as planned some of these treatments may be available as adjuncts or  potentially as primary antipsychotics within the 3-5 years
and have a far more favorable side effect profile and potentially a more favorable recovery rate and work on completely different pathways in the brain than current treatment.
Just on a good note for Latuda, I've been on a ton of meds and Latuda was the first and only thing that ever worked for me. It helped me with both positive and negative symptoms, and I've been doing well with it. Well, not exactly well, but better than before.
Ive never heard of Latuda, Abilify felt like like there was no point in taking it. Geodon made me mellow. But I take Thorazine, and most people cannot handle the side effects of it. Its hardly ever prescribed because so much else out there.  Usually a last resort to Schizophrenia is Clozaril, and you can die from your first dose. I dont know if doctors consult a wiggy board as what to prescribe. It seems like it. But as long as we all stay out of hospitalization, that is a good thing right?
i think so geodon made me ill i'll try clozaril if i can risperdal ain't wroking
I've had a positive experience with Latuda. 1980 in CD treatment given Haldol. Took it for 12 years.Next stellazine. Then risperadol. After that, geodon,although for only a short period of time. Zyprexa.Abilify came after that.Invega,saphris and lastly latuda.I've never experienced complete recovery from any of these,although latuda is far and away the most favorable. I tried celexa recently for "anxiety" which I mistakenly labeled my OCD ,and discontinued because of a constant, extremely dry mouth. I have a great support system,and grateful for the fact that meds,currently latuda, which I've taken less than a year, address the disease in such a fashion that my quality of life has improved  substantially since first treated. All my best.
i have tardive dyskinesia so my new doctor will not change my anti-psychotic :(
Hi ann,
  I had hoped I could find a site like this.  so ty. i have been on soloft, cymbalta, paxil, and now wellbutrin.  I was . Hoping noone would notice,  I was talking to myself. and  has been goin on since i was 15 yrs. old. my father talked to himself too. which is probably why he became an alcoholic.

with all these changes in meds this past two months..  and I find myself  wishing this would stop. ( the talking to myself.) AND I CANT:(>
my dose was increased to the maxim. Its been two doses now i have takin. I feel better like im myself again.:).and the talking to myself has subsided thank God.
but do i have schizophrenia??  Gonna see pysch nest two weeks.:) im afraid to take new meds.  will they harm my body which is my worest fear.
eventuall folks all good things must end. and so of course, the wellbutrin may stop working.????  ty for ur time.
remember that people respond differently to meds so you have to try them for trial & error
I was on Abilify long term.  I did gain weight and my blood glucose level did gradually get higher and higher.  Finally, my psych dr. decided to take me off Abilify due to the increase in my blood glucose level.  He put me on Latuda.  Almost immediately I started having difficulty swallowing and needing to clear my throat.  I developed Burning Tongue Syndrome, TMJ and possibly Reflux according to my ENT dr.  After a couple of weeks on Latuda, my swallowing difficulty grew worse.  Finally one night I had a severe allergic reaction to the Latuda.  It felt like my throat was closing up, I could barely swallow and I had difficulty breathing.  My psych dr. stopped my Latuda immediately, but never started me back on Abilify or anything like that.  My therapist had thought my new symptoms of involuntary tongue and mouth movements, as well as some involuntary hand to face movements were Tardive Dyskinesia.  I have been experiencing all these symptoms for months now.  I've seen all my drs and specialist several times each.  My psych dr. and therapist just met with me and the dr. never even mentioned TD.  I told him all my symptoms, so I'm just wondering why he wouldn't acknowledge that I may have TD.  Very frustrating.
I always believed that Geodon gave me TD but when I realized it I had got it from the abilify I now have neuroleptic induced tardive dyskinesia it stinks but the Cogentin makes it tolerable my tongue moves like crazy I have no control of it - but women like that LOL   :)