Schizophrenia Community
Medication induced Parkinson

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Medication induced Parkinson

Hello

My father has schizophrenia for over 40 years.  He is 70 and is now hospitalized this week with medication induced Parkinson disease.  He has lung and bladder infection from lack of movement.  He cant walk, he went from a shuffle to no movement over the last couple of months.

They cut one of his medications in the hospital, he is on Solium injection once every three weeks, Epilum and Seroquel every day, he is moving a little now that the other one was reduced (cant remember name of it).  He has a very poor quality of life now and is reliant on my mother who is also 70.

Does anyone have any experience this.  If I google I just think that he needs less medication.  But the Doctors say 'no' to that.  Also if he cuts any of the others he is back to no sleeping and getting agresive, ?  Any clues Anyone?

Any advice please.
i suffer from a movements disorder and he has to continue the meds for it, i have switched meds and my tongue still moves like crazy that's all i  can think of for now :)
   The best thing to do would be for him to see a neurologist who is a movement disorders specialist to specifically treat and prescribe medications for the medication induced Parkinsonism. At this point the reason they are keeping him on an antipsychotic would likely be because the schizophrenia still needs to be treated. Clozaril is the only FDA approved antipsychotic that wont cause or worsen tardive dyskinesia. You could ask his psychiatrist if he could be a candidate for that but that also has a severe side effect profile of its own. You can find full information on tardive dyskinesia on the Emedicine page for it.
Thank you for your responses.  He doesnt have repetative movements (tardive dyskinesia) he has inability to move or lift his legs. He cant walk anymore.  But as you say a neurologist might be able to help.  I will research clozaril.  He is not up to much, he just wants to die really.
why is he aggressive, do the psychiatrist consider listening to him or treating him with some dignity, too bad the majority have inflated ego's and delusions about mental health....fair enough he wants to die, it sounds pretty bad, even I'm angry at a life wasted by psychiatry but the drugs pacify my feelings...Maybe there is an alternative to helping with sleep..

I hope something is developed to help aged people, I assume he has dementia? Do antipsychotics even help or  is it just to pacify him?   I'd rather be dead then a vegetable at the hands of psychiatry claiming to be of service to society but not so much the needs of the  individual.  Some people just need to be heard instead of the machine processing medications and making people sicker.
sorry you already explained that it was schizophrenia not dementia.  He's actually lucky to have made it to 70, life expectancy on antipsychotics isn't good, neither is quality of life obviously
Thank you for the response, it all makes me mad.  No there is no dignity at all......  We keep trying