SCHIZOPHRENIA
COMMUNITY
Memory Loss
by paranoid_cataclysm, Aug 03, 2012
Can schizophrenia cause a sudden increase in memory loss?  Lately I haven't been able to remember what was said last in a conversation sometimes and my medication hasn't been altered.
Member Comments (12)
by ILADVOCATE, Aug 03, 2012
    The cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder generally effect a person's ability to process and understand ideas. Direct memory loss can be a part of it but its usually more complex. Do you have trouble tracking conversations only or do you have memory loss in other areas? Dementia can be a symptom of schizophrenia but this is rare and generally a clinically seperate diagnosis. Some medications, however as a temporary side effect can cause memory loss. A person's response to a medication can change over time. Try to think back to when this first started and if any other symptoms have worsened over time as well and what else has changed and then discuss this with your psychiatrist.
by drifter0213, Aug 03, 2012
i tend to ' space out' during the day at times when people try to talk to me but i never lose my memory
by paranoid_cataclysm, Aug 03, 2012
I'm not sure how my memory is functioning in areas such as procedural thinking and whatnot.  I seem to be able to play the keyboard just fine for example.  drifter, I read online some people with schizophrenia never have memory problems but some do and they aren't sure if the medication or the illness caused it.  I just can't remember the time and place of events sometimes or can't even remember what I had for dinner an hour ago or can't remember the last thing said in a conversation as I stated.  It's not all the time, it's like my ability to remember comes and goes and sometimes it's totally wrong as in I can remember things that never happened and can't remember things that did happen.  I think sometimes I am aware when my memory isn't going to function later and it sort of feels like I'm in a fog at the time but at the time I have no insight into it occurring.

I've had the disorder since I was a child and have nearly all the things working against me in terms of signs of a better prognosis... I'm only 26, do you think I could actually have dementia from a schizophrenic related disorder that young?  What causes schizophrenia disorders to cause dementia?
by paranoid_cataclysm, Aug 03, 2012
Also I should state that sometimes when I have trouble remembering, if I really think hard, I can sometimes recall things I'm initially having trouble remembering, but not always.
by drifter0213, Aug 03, 2012
i think i do have short-term memory loss sometimes too
by ILADVOCATE, Aug 03, 2012
  Probably best just to update your psychiatrist so they can determine the cause. Its doubtful its anything progressive but you can discuss that with them as well.
by paranoid_cataclysm, Aug 03, 2012
I'll get on that ASAP.  Thanks.
by flynnster, Sep 08, 2012
Hey :)

I struggle with memory a lot but I can't pinpoint why. There are so many things that could be contributing to it.

Meds, the illness itself, mood, sleep, concentration etc etc.

If you're worried, I would speak to your doc about it.