Schizophrenia Community
Misdiagnosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Misdiagnosis?

Hi. I have been diagnosed with chronic paranoid schizophrenia sometime in July. The thing is, is that I just don't think I have it. I really don't. Tomorrow I have my monthly appointment at a thought disorder clinic, and I was wondering how I should bring it up with the doctor. At tormorrow I don't plan on going back there, because I just don't see the point in going if I don't have schizophrenia, I have also stopped taking my medication. So, should I just be blunt with them and tell them that I have stopped the medication (again) and that I feel that I have been misdiagnosed?
your entitled to a second opinoin if you feel you have been misdiagnosed talk to a new doctor i'ts your right
You should go and see another doctor if you really don't think you have schizophrenia. You should NOT abruptly stop your medications, and if you did -- call the doctor and tell him immediately. My biggest advice is... Talk to a family member or a friend you can trust. Someone who knows you very well and ask them to help you figure this out. I have a daughter who is 33 and was diagnosed at age 16. She still doesn't realize she has schizophrenia. Time after time she refuses to take her medication and then she ends up back in the hospital. Sadly it seems to be a disease where you cannot trust your own opinion. I always tell all of my kids, if ever you are getting an opinion on something very important, always talk to more than one person. So, you should go to a new doctor and get a second opinion since you are not sure. And please listen to the doctors and your family and take your medication if that is what they say you should do. Take good care of yourself and be consistent with your medications. Each time my daughter goes off her medications and then recovers again, she is worse than before. Remember you are not alone. Joya
Can you coment on what you did or what has happened since your first post? Try to answer if you followed the advice of JoyaRagland, as well. Thanks so much.
Just get a second opinion.
I also was diagnosed with chronic paranoid schizophrenia when I was 15yo. I have been re-diagnosed over the years as having severe depression and pscizoaffective dissorder. Im guessing its less severe than full blown schizophrenia. Ive been in psych units many times in my life and most 'true full schizoprenics have no clue of reality when they are off there meds and very few can function normally in society on their meds. Most people with the disease always want to stop their meds, dont ever do that. I would get another opinion, and since you are kinda new to Mental Illness, ask the doctor if you can take a long test called the MMPI, It reads a person real good. Anyway I wish you the best, and no one here is alone, mental illness affects so many people, just they want to admit they have it, stigmas and all.
shizoaffective is schizophrenia and bipolar disorder you must try the pills they eventually help :)