Schizophrenia Community
New here and need help please!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

New here and need help please!

Hey I was diagnosed with bipolar in 2003 when my mom passed away. I have had voices, cutting, being paranoid people are chasing me around the country ever since I was a kid. Recently the voices have gotten really loud and they happen daily and I am getting paranoid about people chasing me around the country again. My therapist and sister think I have schizophrenia but can not see a pdoc until I get my insurance in July. The place I am going to be going to pisgah institute in asheville nc will not schedule an appt with pdoc until I have my insurance info, This is very frustrating because when I get the info hopefully middle of June how far out will the pdoc appt be. Medications are not working and my pdoc in March told me I have tried every mood stabilizer she can think of for bipolar between the age of 10 and now.That was very discouraging to hear. I do not know where to go from here. My mom had schizophrenia but did not seek treatment and we moved around a lot growing up #1 she said people were chasing us around the country also #2 whenever school would make me go for therapy I would go a few times and then they would want to meet with my mom and of course she would panic and it was time to move again. As i got older my mom became a lot meanier than she was when i was younger. I am scared i am turning into my mom and this bothers me a lot.
   Yes the concerns you are describing can occur in schizophrenia but they can also occur in other conditions as well such as bipolar with psychotic features. However only a psychiatrist could provide a diagnosis. There should be a way you can gain access to treatment in the meantime such as an outpatient walk in clinic if needed and also that the processing of the health care insurance could be expedited. What you are describing does sound of concern and there should be a way you can obtain the help you need.
i have six cousins with SZ and my mom have it i think its hereditary i also hear voices that bother me and i hope you get help soon i need my meds :)
Thank you both for your information i am going to call the provider and see if they can see me sooner before insurance goes into effect to see if they can give me a sliding scale.
Yes, please get help I hope there is a walk in clinic.  What you do not want is a total break from reality.  What you are describing now is serious but you can get help and recover.  The longer it goes untreated the worst it becomes.