Schizophrenia Community
Nine year old girl hears voices calling her to come to them

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

My daughter told me about a month ago that she heard a woman call her by name to come to her.  She said it was my voice.  Today she told my that she heard her dad's voice "in her head" call out to her while she was at school.  She has an uncommon name, her dad is away on business, and she was in a quiet classroom when it happened.  She has a very high IQ- 158 and she does remarkably well in school.  She lives in a stable home environment with 2 parents.  I have researched this to death and all I can come up with online is anxiety.  The only major thing she could be anxious about is her dad travels for work quite often.  Should I be concerned?
Tags: hear, voice
Yes but it would be difficult to say what's going on because it would depend on what else is occurring and how it affects her. Anxiety can at times of anxiety episodes affect reality testing but psychosis severely impairs a person's reality testing at all times. However only a psychiatrist could provide a specific diagnosis. The best thing to do would be to take her to a child psychologist and they could then decide if a further referral is needed from there.
Have you looked at this link yet found on the internet; http://www.intervoiceonline.org/2007/5/22/children-and-hearing-voices
Also, you may want to sit down with your daughter and ask her if she is feeling anxious or if anything in particular is bothering her. I believe it's important that she expresses what she's thinking and feeling.  It's pretty clear that she is only hearing your voice and her fathers voice so she may be having some worrying thoughts.  I do agree with ILADOVOCATE that you may need to take her to a child psychologist, but please try and not worry about this.
You should know that hearing voices is very common among people of all ages and the reasons or causes vary from one person to the next.
Good Luck To You And Don't Worry.
Thank you to you both so much.  I have a devout faith and I believe that everything is fine.  I will take her in to be seen if it happens again.  I (even though I am not a doctor) believe that this is stress related on some level.  She is not an anxious child but very well could be stressed about her dad being gone.
Hi, you're very welcome and the best to you and your family.

The best thing I can tell you right now, is that even with a diagnoses of Schizophrenia, it wont really contradict her education etc, in fact knowing the diagnoses will only help her to manage. That's not saying she defnantly does... It could be something as silly as trouble sleeping, and lack of it.
I would say take her to the doctor, and see what he has to say, only positives can result from the consultation...

Cheers,

- John -