Schizophrenia Community
Paranoid Schizophrenia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Paranoid Schizophrenia

My husband went off all his medication for Paranoid Schizophrenia and for the past two months he has been terrible and extremely nasty.
He decided he was going to go and get medical marijuana and they ended up selling him Cannabis Sativia in the beginning and now he is completely whacked out.
He does not trust me at all and I am his wife, he is mean to our cat, and when I suggest that he get back on some medications he just snaps at me and puts his fingers in his ears and walks away.
I am fed up with his actions and the way he talks to me all the time,
As of late he thinks that the voices he is hearing is coming from voice to skull equipment and I say not.
About 5 years ago the voices told him to push me down a flight of stairs, glad he told me about it too.
He has been on Zyprexa and Geodon and none of these helped hom at all.
What meds will help him and yet not allow him to gain weight yet help with claming these voices that he hears???
Thank you for your time.
Sue
there is a lot of differrent medications it's like trial and error. i take geodon but with these meds you have to take them over a period of time to benefit :)
Any form of recreational drug will worsen schizophrenia. That effect takes a while to wear off. Every antipsychotic has the potential of weight gain but the 3 least likely are Abilify, Fanapt and Saphris but each person responds differently to each medication.
I am a teacher,  I know a past pupil from our school, smoked so much marijuana and this has contributed to the onset of schizophrenia.  The two things are a lethal combination, marijuana and schizophrenia.

You will have to consider your own situation and you own safety, as a priority.

Seroquel does not seem to cause the same weight gain as zyprexa.
I gained no weight on Geodon and neither did someone else I know that has taken it but this works differently for everyone.