Schizophrenia Community
Please tell me what Mental Illness my daughter has?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

My daughter has been acting very weirdly she is just 14 I am very worried as sometimes she would talk to herself, selfharm, attempt suicide, think of suicide, not eat, won't talk as much and it is just very worrying because the doctor has told me she has PTSD but they're saying that she is hearing voices and hallucinating she has told me she see's things on fire she see's smoke she see's aliens and demons when she hallucinates her breathing will shorten she will get very panicky and if you touch her like on her shoulders she will scream and jump and always say ''STOP DOING THAT YOU PIECE OF S***'' then she'll get very violent and aggressive she sometimes carry's knife's on her because she is extreamly paranoid she'd take a knife without me noticing she will use it only on her self and the police know that. What does she have?
Only a psychiatrist could provide a specific diagnosis but those are some of the signs of PTSD. Psychosis can occur in many psychiatric disabilities. It depends what specifically is going on as well. Best to speak to the psychiatrist about how they intend to treat it and how you could work with them so she receives the help she needs.
But is PTSD a mental Health problem? what is the signs in PTSD?
PTSD is a cognitive disorder i think and some of the signs of it are like nightmares, flashbacks, avoidance of certain stressors that remind us of the trauma i have PTSD since '94 and have substance-abuse problems because of it i self-medicated until i quit now i have schizophrenia. also iladvocate is right get your child to a psychiatrist and maybe the right help is out there :)
will she recover? what sort of medication is for PTSD? she was sexually abused when she was 6 to 12 years old I think that is why she has PTSD.
recovery is possible; time is a healer. it might take a long time though i still have nightmares as for medications there is anti-deppressants to treat PTSD :)
That is good to hear, but she is young do you think giving Anti-Deppressants at her age is possible? thanks :)
Yeah I would say that sounds like signs of PTSD.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a disorder that can develop following a traumatic event that threatens your safety or makes you feel helpless.
It can occur to people who have had to witness it, deal with the after effect of it or people who have had to experience it. It is a Mental illness and a Disorder hence the name.
It is not common for them to speak to demons and aliens though and I have never heard of that, that sounds more like the onset of Schitzephrenia than PTSD.
Sexual abuse is a common factor in PTSD and can definately cause it.
It is possible for her to be on medication at her age it has worked before on a much Younger age than 14 although Suicidal feelings are a common side effect of Anti depressants on someone so Young she will need to be monitored.
It is best she is seeing a professional and that the psychiatrist decides what is best for her and works with You on supporting and treating her.
http://www.anxietyaustralia.com.au/anxiety_disorders/post_traumatic.shtml
http://www.medicinenet.com/posttraumatic_stress_disorder/article.htm
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/UVAHealth/peds_adolescent/psd.cfm
http://www.medical-look.com/Mental_health/Post_traumatic_stress_disorder.html

There are a few links for Post Traumatic stress Disorder and there are many more over the internet. But Just remember only a mental health professional is able to diagnose and treat Your daughter
My daughter can't be schizophrenic though because there is no family history of it. It is only small voices she will hear and she will talk about aliens and demons and say people are posing as humans but they're actually aliens and demons. Will PTSD effect her life in the long run? or will she move on? I need my daughter back she has changed so much she goes missing sometimes she the police say she threatens herself and others she is too paranoid for this world I am so scared about her next actions the Psychiatrist is taking ages to prescribe the meds and not doing much for her.
Ma'am, I know how it is in your daughter shoes. I was sexually abuse throughout my childhood (5-12). I am diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and PTSD. I took high doses of antipsychoitic and depression medications when I was younger. I have severe depression, mood swings, delusions, weird speech, hallucinations (worse symptom ever..). But I'm 19 now, in college (There is hope!), and learned to cope without medications. Keep it mind it may be a lifetime she would have it. It is best to keep the person (or persons; for me it was more than one) far away without contact. There may be times when she would want to talk to that sex offender but don't let her unless you KNOW FOR SURE that monster in her life wants to say "why" they did those things to her. I did and tried but would always get hurt and back stabbed. For the PTSD to heal, she needs closure when she is ready (if she can get it). And please be patient... and don't ever get tired of protecting her... I still have relapses even to this day and episodes. She would push and detach herself from loved ones like how I do to my fiance when I have my relapses even when he tries his best to help. For me, it's more of "I hate myself for burdening others" and "I want to protect my loved ones from my world".
I have schizoaffective disorder ( schizophrenia with mood disorder ) in my case it's Bi polar and i'm the only one in my family to have it , but it can be genetic's also , i don't know to much about PTSD even thoughi had some trauma's when youger but your best bet is to get your daughter to a psychiatrist asap they should be able to help in the right treatment for her

best of luck