Schizophrenia Community
Pregnancy and Paranoid Schizphrenia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Pregnancy and Paranoid Schizphrenia

My 33 year old daughter has been managing her Paranid Schizophrenia for over a year.  She has now met someone special and wants to marry and have a baby.  Her health professionals tell her that she cannot get pregnant and have a normal child on her current meds.  She has decided to go off her meds and she believes and that she will not ever have have violent psychosis again.  Because of the Hippa laws, my hands are tied.  I let my legal gurdianship lapse because she was doing so well.  What do you suggest I do.  I feel if I get some good medical answers through this post, I could share the responses with her.  
i want to wish your daughter good luck and i hope it goes well for her :)
The means to seek custody or guardianship are complex and would have to be discussed with a lawyer who specializes in mental health concerns. As regarding what her psychiatrist said not all psychiatric medications cause complications during pregnancy and they could discuss potential options with her and/or explain at this point why they believe she should wait until seeking to become a parent because of mental health concerns but they should have a full conversation with her.
Do you know of any meds for Paranoid Schizophrenia which do not interfere with pregnancy.  She was in the hospital for 2.5 months experimenting with drugs before they went with Prolixin ( a monthly shot) which finally works.  Zyprexa did not make any change in her psychosis at all over a month of trial.  I am not looking for gudianship again.  That responsibility will have to fall to her new husband now.  I just want to make sure that she has all of the facts before going off all of the drugs.  She is also on Cogentin for side effects.
i take cogentin
  She should discuss which medications would be safe for her to take if she decided to become pregnant with her psychiatrist and also an OB-Gyn as the two would need to consult with each other as regards this concern.
Thanks for your help.  I wrote my concerns to her psychologist, case worker and psychiatrist.  So far, she has only met with her psychologist who only told her that she is an adult and responsibile for her own decisions.  I am not impressed.  She wasn't onboard when Lindsay broke every piece of glass in my condo and beat me till I was bruised head to toe with a black eye.  This is very scarry since she is driving my car.  My other two kids are stressed to the max about all of this and fear for my safety.  They live far away.  I will continue to muddle through, but thanks for posting your ideas.

most people with schizophrenia are not violent :)