Psychosis
My 17 yr old son was recently diagnosed with psychosis and is currently taking risperidone. Hes been taking it for a couple months but still tells me he feels like hes going crazy. He says he feels trapped in his own mind, constantly arguing with himself, second guessing himself. He also obsesses about his thoughts like " did I do the right thing" " No, maybe I didnt" No maybe I did" This is a constant thing from when he gets up in the morning until he goes to bed and then starts again the next day. Hes tried other meds and therapy but nothing is helping. Hes living with his father in another state. I just want to help him...He says he cant live with the way his brain works. I really need some advise.
meds take months to work, everyone responds differrently, he can asked to be changed to another type or ask for a stonger dose, i took respiridone for two years it didn't help and i discontinued in may and i am going to try and change meds. hope this helps ok :)  
  There are an increasing number of options as regards antipsychotics. If a person hasn't responded to many antipsychotics in standard use they could be considered a candidate for Clozaril which would be used more if it were not for its side effect profile. It also could be more standard concerns such as dosage and tiration and insuring the medication is being taken as prescribed. This should all be discussed with the psychiatrist. Also it should be noted active research continues into new treatment modalities as regards antipsychotics that might potentially have a fuller recovery rate. You could also see if you could obtain a referral to a psychopharmocologist who are medication specialists.
   As well his psychiatrist should find out more about the nature of the thoughts that is whether they are psychotic or more obsessive in nature as the follow up might be different but this decision would be made within a psychiatrist's clinical discretion.