Schizophrenia Community
Schitzophrenia??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Schitzophrenia??

my son has been diagnosed with schitzophrenia and I just don't get it.   Yes, I agree that he may well have mental health issues, but although some symptoms 'may' point towards schitzophrenia, he's not your classic case by any stretch of the imagination. His medication just knocks him out - surely this can't be right??  
How long has he been taking this medication? It will probably take a while for Doctors to determine the therapeutic dose for your son. So that they can treat the symptoms but he can still have a good quality of life. Keep a journal and jot down notes regarding how long he is sleeping, and the dose he is prescribed. This could really help at his Doctors appointments.
what meds does he take?
Antipsychotics commonly sedate people who take them.
why did my comments get deleted? did someone report me? no not paranoid just strange I went to some trouble writing them.... don't know if the original poster will get back but I find psychiatrists are a bit eager to diagnose ppl and interpret everything as a symptom...I have odd beliefs but they aren't necessarily a delusion but doesn't stop a quack thinking everything is a symptom of schizophrenia
probably because i mentioned alternatives in the form of ayurvedic treatments that can improve mental health or option for treatment resistant psychosis....won't go into specific herbs again, personally I use mentat in conjunction with an antipsychotic to improve cognitive function, it could be useful in maintaining a good state of mind and helps with sleep problems and proven effective for anxiety and stress
I am sure you are free to use whatever works for you as lone as you just say your story, what is wrong with that. People have to make their own choices.
Our son is 18 years old.  He started having symptoms in 2009.  I don't get it either.  He has tried Abilify, Geodon, Seroquel, Saphris; All of which made him more paranoid, or knocked him out.  The only thing that helps some is Risperidone.
  Yes some people  respond better to one antipsychotic than another. At this point they are not sure of the exact reason why but psychiatrists keep track of this. There are also some people who dont respond well to current antipsychotics in general but there is continuing research into new treatment modalities. I did not respond well to currently avaiable antipsychotics without side effects I could not tolerate so that was why I was tried on Clozaril which would be used more if it didnt have a stronge side effect profile of its own. I
was unable to tolerate that as well.
    Currently I am on a medication that is part of a clinical study of a new class of antipsychotics in FDA study called the NMDA receptor modulates (for more information google "A New Class of Antipsychotics in Study, Psychiatric Times").
   As regards the other question you posted to simplify things I wll answer it here. Before a diagnosis of schizophrenia or another psychotic disorder is made psychiatrists do extensve testing for other critieria to rule them out. I know because I went through that before  I was started on medication. Right now in additon to schizoaffective disorder (schizophrenia wth a mood disorder) I have some other mental changes that are in clincal study themselves and not fully understood yet. However when the first noted these changes they ruled out other more common criteria and tested for them.
  Wilsons Disease (you could look up the condition on Emedicine) is when the body cannot metabolize copper properly. There are a specific set of critieria they look for. The full tests includes taking a urine sample that is collected after a full day to check for copper deposits. They also check
for rings in the eye area which only an opthalomologist can see. I went through that test and was ruled negative. Some people at this point just dont respond well to antipsychotics but if you have specific concerns you can discuss that with his psychiatrist.