Schizophrenia Community
Schizophrenia Vs Depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Schizophrenia Vs Depression

My son 28 has been suffering from hallucination (see something that is not physically exists). I am afraid if the psychiatrics shall make wrong diagnosis whether he has been suffering from Schizophrenia or Depression.

He had learning disability in school and with great difficulty he is graduated from a University. Is there questioners that I can ask my son to answer so that we are sure it is Depression of Schizophrenia.
He looks unhappy and sad from the time he lost a job where he was very happy for 2 months. He seems to me worried with the fear of unknown of uncertainty of future career.

You may e-mail me at ***@****
As a person who has recovered from schizoaffective disorder (with glycine a Phase II antipsychotic in FDA that is a glutamate antagonist, a new form of antipsychotic in study
that will not cause tardive dyskinesia or diabetes and promotes a fuller recovery) I can state that things are more complex. Schizoaffective disorder is schizophrenia with a co-existing mood disorder. If the person is only psychotic during mood changes then it is classified as bipolar or depression (depending if mania exists) with psychotic features. For myself, the schizoaffective had the bipolar aspect. For your son it would probably have the depressive aspect. He would be prescribed an antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer. For more information on the specific antipsychotic agent I am on google "Dr. Javitt, glycine" and when the specific case study on me is published in a psychiatric journal I will make the results available. However, as for now with a standard antipsychotic and anti-depressent your son would do well as regards recovery. Schizoaffective disorder is actually more common than schizophrenia and has a better recovery rate overall.