Schizophrenia Community
Schizophrenia and feeling cold

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Schizophrenia and feeling cold

Here is something interesting:

I get cold a lot and was doing some research on causes.  I came across some info that said that people with Schizophrenia often feel cold, apparently it is a negative symptom of the disease.  When I see my Psychiatrist on Monday I will ask her about it.  I do know that Seroquel affects the body's temperature regulation.  

I wondered if anyone else has trouble with feeling cold a lot of the time?  I know I get cold mostly at night and my body temp is always is the 97 degree range.  
I'm the exact opposite and feel hot all the time.  I can only stay comfortable for example by keeping a window open during winter in my room.
Not really sure but if anyone has any physical changes that they don't know the cause of they should report it to their psychiatrist. I know some medications I take (Clonidine) or have taken (lithium) can cause difficulty with temperature regulation. The antipsychotic agent I take that is in Phase II FDA study actually causes my body to feel colder and has a mild depressive effect (I take it with a mood stabilizer to combat this and because as a person with schizoaffective disorder I need one). I did find some clinical studies that showed that temperature regulation was part of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia but that is still a theory so best to report anything going on that is abnormal to your psychiatrist as I always did and of course continue to.
We should all get together and find new brains and then fire the ones we have now for doing such a shoddy job.
i feel fine
Personally I think it is a female/male thing.

My hands and feet are always cold, and when I feel cold and go to raise the temp. in our place my husband has a fit, he says he is sweating?

I am on Seroquel and the only thing I noticed about it, is that it makes me have nightsweats on and off all night, the being cold, well I have always been like that.

If you do ask your psyc about it, please let me know, that might explain why I am always cold, like I said, I always thought it was a female/male thing.
Well as I posted some medications can alter a person's temperature. I do know that when I was on Seroquel aside from the usual side effects of sedation, prolactin elevation, temporary movement disorders such as akathesia and weight gain at higher doses I experienced a rapid heartbeat but not enough to be of concern. It was quite effective though and the first medication I took that helped on negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia. One can't judge what medication is causing what effect or if there is an underlying physical concern so its best to report any physical concerns to your psychiatrist. If they think that its of concern they could adjust or change the medication or refer you to a physical doctor. A yearly physical check up is essential for anyone, including myself to evaulate what is going on (for example I have to get a yearly liver function test because of some of the medications I take, that is not from the antipsychotic agent I am on, so far they are just figuring out the long term side effect profile of that, hopefully they won't pick up anything of concern). Excessive sweating can be a side effect of many medications and that's generally not of concern. If people want full information on any medications that are taking they should go to the medication website and of course speak to their pharmacist and psychiatrist who can access a physicians's only database with full information.