Schizophrenia Community
Schzoaffective

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Schzoaffective

I been diagnosed with schzoaffective since I was 18 now 43 been on almost ever medicine just got put on latuda about 3 weeks ago so now I stopped it every time I took it I couldn't swallow and couldn't breath for hrs is that a reaction to the meds? I know I shouldn't stop it but just couldn't deal with not being able to breath..so my doc told me that if this doesn't work he has no choice to put me back on clozaril now that med help me a lot but the side affects are horrible so I took myself off latuda n put myself back on Saphris and doc doesn't kbow I did it so am I messing myself up by doing this on my own?
  Its essential not to make any changes with your medication without asking your psychiatrist first. If you find Saphris more tolerable than Latuda you can let them know that and they would most likely be willing to transer you from one medication to the other. However since you did change the medication its best to let them know so they can follow up within their clinical discretion.
  What may have happened although you can ask your psychiatrist about it more is you had as part of temporary movement disorders (extra pyramidal side effects) is a dystonic reaction. If left untreated that can be unsafe so if that happens call your psychiatrist so they can prescribe a side effect pill or tell you what the appropriate next step is. Likely they were considering Clozaril because that is the only antipsychotic that exists now that wont cause long term movement disorders and rarely causes short term ones.  It does have a side effect profile of its own that can be of concern
and if not for that it would be more in use.However if you have found you can tolerate Saphris and repond to it well you can let your psychiatrist know but its essential for the future not to change medications including dosage without asking them first.
when taking clorazil they must monitor your pancreas enzymes i think if you can't breathe don't take it ok :)
I know all about clozaril was on it for 10 yrs worked good was a new person but side affects are horrible