Schizophrenia Community
TD & Vitamin Overdoses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

TD & Vitamin Overdoses

I have been studying the web for awhile about tardive dyskinesia, because I am now 63 (older woman and therefore at greater risk) and have been taking typical antipsychotics for 38 years.

Has anyone else read the good reports on taking megadoses of Vitamin B6?  The studies give absolutely no hint that overdoses are a problem.  They are!

If you are reading the web as I am, and getting advice about megadoses of vitamins, check "vitamin x overdose" on the web.   The studies are usually very short-term, and the results of long-term megadoses are sobering.
Yes I have been taking standard doses of the various types of vitamin b throughout the time I have used antipsychotics on doctor's instructions. But like with any vitamin going above the FDA reccomended dose is unsafe especially with fat soluble vitamins and there is of course the dangers of toxicity. The science of orthomolecular psychiatry (using vitamins to treat schizophrenia and other psychiatric disabilities) has very much fallen out of favor as regards accuracy. One way to determine if a study is reliable is to see if it is the search engine pubmed and/or clinicaltrials.gov but even then it may have proven to be inaccurate years ago or be inconclusive as of yet. Any study should be brought to a doctor or psychiatrist for further understanding. Unfortunately there is little evidence that taking large doses of any kind of vitamin, including vitamin b will prevent tardive dyskinesia and like any other vitamin in above FDA reccomended doses it can be highly unsafe. That is correct.
what vitamins were you taking or are taking now?
Vitamin e because that was believed until relatively recently to prevent tardive dyskinesia but latest studies show it doesn't really work in this regards. Vitamin b because some older studies believed it had some effect on any condition that was psychiatric but that's no longer been shown to be true. However the vitamin b/c complex and vitamin e were healthy in general and I got less colds each year after taking the vitamin c each day. Generally doctors just reccomend a general multiple vitamin complex. There are natural remedies that I take that treat tardive. There haven't been shown to be any proven preventative means in recent controlled studies.