Schizophrenia Community
Talking to self aloud when nobody is there

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

I am new to this forum.  I stay with a friend once in a while on vacation (maybe 4 times per year). She seems fine during the day. She is very friendly and calm.  She lives alone and  I am a guest at her house.  I notice that her house is very clean but if you look in the drawers, things seem very messy and not organized.  It seems that she keeps all kinds of old stuff and receipts in very messy closets and cabinet drawers.  This is not my major issue for writting.  The reason that I am posting a question is that I hear my friend talking to herself when she thinks that I am sleeping or busy at another part of the house.  For example, I tend to go to bed earlier than she does.  After I go to bed and she thinks that I am sleeping, I hear her in the kitchen talking to herself in a mad voice and telling "someone" who is not there at all to "shut up".  This goes on for about 15 minutes in the middle of the night such as at mid night or 1 AM.  In addition, when she wakes up around 6AM and takes her shower, I hear a talking to herself in the bathroom.  She seems very mad at something or someone and talks to herself telling someone to "shut up....". I am the only other person is her house and I am in another bedroom.  She also assumes that I am sleeping.  Should I be concerned about this behavior? Has anyone seen this type of behavior in the past because I have not seen this in my family or other friends?  What could this be? Could be stress because of my visit? stress about her life? schzophrenia? bipolar?  Am I safe at her home? Should I ask her about these talks? Otherwise she seems a very calm person, clean house except her drawrs and closets.  She also has a good paying job but stressful and owns her home, so she is succesful in most aspects of her life. Thank you for your input.  
people with schizophrenia are not violent at least i am not and i have schizophrenia
Many talk outloud to themselves especially when alone and if used to living alone also.
Not uncommon at all.
You could always just ask how everything is going with your friend and ask if all is okay or if something is bothering her that she would like to talk about.
If more comfortable; do this over the phone if you have any kind of fear.
I wouldn't be concerned with her personal closets and drawers though; we all have our own ways of doing things.
Good Luck.
I would say it depends on why she is talking to herself.  If she is talking to voices she is hearing then it is probably an indication something is wrong but there is more than just schizophrenia that can cause voices in the head.
I have schizoaffective disorder and this is what I used to do a lot. I was just talking to myself but I would talk both sides of an argument or story. Sometimes I was just rehearsing what I wanted to say to someone later and sometimes I was mad at some and needed to vent my feelings.
I wouldn't tell her you heard her because she would be embarassed.
You don't have any reason to be afraid of her. She is probably just stressed out and needs to vent her feelings.
If she brings up the subject herself then you can discuss if she has schizoaffective disorder or something like that but don't talk about it unless she comes to you for help.
I also rehearse conversations before I actually talk to someone so it could also be that, I totally forgot about that I do this so it's another possibility.