Schizophrenia Community
Unable to Tolerate/ Haven't Recovered with Current Antipsychotics
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Unable to Tolerate/ Haven't Recovered with Current Antipsychotics

I have posted how I have recovered with glycine a glutamate antagonist, a new form of antipsychotic that is in development in Phase II FDA study. I ended up on this medication because I was unable to tolerate all currently available antipsychotics and have advanced tardive dyskinesia. I am no manner making reccomendations to change treatments but I am trying to get a feel for how many people have either not recovered with all currently available antipsychotics (for example you still have psychotic thoughts) or have severe long term disabilities (tardive dyskinesia, diabetes) or can't tolerate antipsychotics because of side effects (akathesia or dystonia which are short term movement disorders, cognitive side effects, weight gain). My specific goal that is advocating within the system and approved by my provider as well as the various researchers and officials I have spoken with is to have new anti-psychotics fast tracked through the studies. But I want to show there is a pressing need. And I believe there is. But more specifics always help than statistics. So if you have these issues, it would help not only you but consumer advocacy as a whole to let me know. I'll put some common problems people run into and you can add another if they don't cover it.
0%
 (0) 
Tried All Antipsychotics but They Don't Work for Me
0%
 (0) 
Have Tardive Dyskinesia
0%
 (0) 
Have Medication Induced Diabetes
100%
 (1) 
Shot Term Side Effects/Akathesia/Weight Gain/Cognitive Blunting/Extreme Sedation
1 Member voted