What to say in defense of accusations from schizophrenic delusions
My boyfriend has alll of the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia. I want to be supportive of him and help him in any way I can, but it is getting increasingly difficult as his delusions keep getting worse. He is constantly accusing me of cheating on him, and he has delusions about me doing things that I would never actually do. He constantly says he saw me in a car on the street or heard my voice on someone's phone, but these are all delusions. I know that it is the mental illness and not rational thinking that causes him to have these delusions, but it gets to be so overwhelming when he is calling and texting me non stop accusing me of being a prostitute and telling me that he is out on the street looking for proof that I am.
He does admit that he has a mental illness and has agreed to talk to a therapist, but my question is how should I respond to the accusations? I know there is no reasoning with delusions, but what should I say to calm him down when he is having these delusions? I am overwhelmed and at a loss for what is the right thing to say or do,but I don't want to give up because I am his only advocate, He doesn't have friends and his family is very dysfunctional and actually cause him more harm than good. Anyone who has experience with schizophrenia I would really appreciate your help or advice. Thank you.
   The best thing to do is not to respond directly to anything he says that could potentially be delusional at the time. However if at some other point he is more stable that would more be the time to discuss these concerns in general. Speaking to a therapist with him could be of help. NAMI friends and family support groups can be of help as regards coping solutions.
i have delusions of romance sometimes when i meet a fine woman but i also believe that others can hear what im thinking too :)
I have had my own similar manic episodes where there were trust issues and stressful situations that would leave me staring at a wall, in a stunned state. Your boyfriend needs a really good friend to open up to, an objective bystander who has no hidden agenda. There might other factors influencing that persons behavior, like lack of sleep or appetite, and from your description, feeling alienated or "isolated" socially. Maybe he could try group therapy. It has helped me with similar feelings.
Thank you for everyone who gave advice.
Well, to update, he is currently seeing a therapist once a week, but now he is telling me that he can't trust the therapist, and that he thinks the therapist is recording him to use his sessions against him somehow. The therapist has not prescribed him any meds, and he is still having delusions. He tells me that he knows the difference between delusions and reality, but that is far from true.
I am learning to be more patient and calmer when he accuses me of off-the- wall crazy things, but I can't deny that it is a huge struggle to keep my cool when he's in his delusional state.
I really love him and want to help him. He is a good person at heart, but the mental illness takes over a lot. I keep telling him calmly that the therapist is there to help him not hurt him, but he thinks otherwise. What should I say or do to help him to stick with therapy?
if he were to join a group of people in therapy he might see other people struggling with the same conditions. there is a lot of camaraderie in most group settings. it takes a lot of the pressure off. good luck.
Hi, is your boyfriend currently on any meds at all?  It seems like he might benefit from a low dosage.  In addition to his therapist he needs to see a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist can prescribe meds if he really needs them.