Schizophrenia Community
Which antipsychotic has been the best for you?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Which antipsychotic has been the best for you?

I am just curious. I have only ever been on one (seroquel) and am considering changing to another atypical. Just wondered what your experiences were, how good they worked for you and what side effects you experienced.
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
i take geodon with no side effects; i also used to take abilify but i gained 50 pounds :)
Blank
This is a toss up.  Geodon worked OK but I gained no weight from it but I had to stop the damn thing because I experienced chest pains of a kind I'd never experienced before taking it.  Risperdal seemed like it was going to be the best one but I only got to take it a few times because I couldn't handle the side effects unfortunately.  Abilify is in between them in efficacy and I've taken it about half as long as I did Geodon (which was one year almost) but I don't like how I'm gaining weight on it but it has treated symptoms Geodon didn't even touch such as paranoia and inability to express myself but at the same time it doesn't make symptoms go away as much as Geodon did.  Rather a complex answer for your question that seemed simple on the surface. lol  I guess there is no "best" one for me and it's a matter of taking what I like best.
Blank
I take Geodon....works for me.
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
i still hear voices :)
Blank
1039200_tn?1314915608
Does geodon help you with the voices and other symptoms though?
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
it corrected my bizarre behavior ( delusions) but i still hear a voice or two
Blank
I know you didn't ask me, but I have an answer relevant to your question to drifter.  Geodon obliterated the voice I was hearing that was trying to steal my soul but now when I get stressed out or tired or if I even look at myself wrong while taking Abilify it and some friends of it apparently seem to come back.  I was on the highest daily dose of Geodon however and now I'm only on a starting dose of Abilify.
Blank
1039200_tn?1314915608
Thanks for your input, it is useful especially to know that atypicals which have similar mechanisms of action have variable effectiveness. It must be better to be on a lower dose of Abifily that the highest of Geodon, so in that sense it is good because it will carry lower risks for you. I wonder if I changed AP I could lower the dose and it would have the same effect. The only thing for me is the 'fear factor' of changing meds - you hope that it will be better, but it could also be worse and this is the risk you take! What prompted you to make the decision to change from geodon to abifily in the end?
Blank
It was not by my hand that my medication was changed, I experienced chest pains on it and was taken off of it immediately.  They told me my body is sensitive to psych meds.  On Geodon I also felt stupider some days, which I was told is called cognitive blunting.
Blank
1021784_tn?1306366611
The only medication that works well for me is Clozaril.  All the other APs gave me a side effect called akathisia.
Blank
Have you tried a side effect pill for the akathesia?
Blank
1039200_tn?1314915608
Yes, clozaril is supposed to be a very effective medication, but not normally prescribed until a person has tried at least two atypicals and found no relief with them, or found the side effects from them intolerable. This is because of the added risk associated with the drug which requires regular blood tests / monitoring.
Blank
Clozaril also is supposed to have a heavy side effect profile which is another reason it's used as a last resort.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Schizophrenia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...