Schizophrenia Community
Will somebody please help with dealing with a misinformer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Will somebody with more knowledge about psychiatry and Schizophrenia than me please educate this guy so he might take his videos down? He has the same message in the description for each of his videos. I contacted youtube about it the day he put up the first one afew days ago but they haven't done anything, probably because I don't know enough about the subject to convince them that it's dangerous.

I noticed that he has two links that lead to some crazy new age religion or what I think might also be a religious parody so no doubt he's getting his information from crazies or people pulling a prank but what he's saying is dangerous for and insensitive to people with schizophrenia or who have loved ones with it.

He's claiming that Schizophrenia is:

"It seems every generation psychiatry finds a new group of disruptive people to try and erase from society. From the uneducated fools and adults who refused to grow up and get a job. From the beatniks and hippies of the 50's to 70's to the moody queers, fruits and artists (real artists) of the 1980's."

And doing things to try and convince people that he (And bruce lee *rolls eyes*) is one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buk--8p9k2c
You are talking about two things. Youtube classes it as free speech and there are plenty more harmful things that they won't take down some of which would not be appropriate to discuss here. Do report it but chances are they won't take action.
I do have concerns with the anti-psychiatry movement and this is what I always tell them:
"I have recovered from schizoaffective disorder with glycine, an antipsychotic in Phase II FDA study that is a glutamate antagonist a new form of antipsychotic that will not create tardive dyskinesia or diabetes and promotes a fuller recovery. This recovery came from myself as a consumer and I would not be able to function without treatment in very real world terms. As a person with tardive dyskinesia and what they are identfiying as tardive psychosis I am advocating to get that treated as well in myself as other people and have obtained good results. If anyone in the anti-psychiatry movement has any concerns I would appreciate it if they would not detract from my recovery but instead join with me to advocate as I am doing for newer and better treatments so that people can have the mental recovery I did without the neurological disabilities".
And you can feel free to forward this or print it as well.
I know there's a lot of dangerous information on youtube but most of it isn't like this. The concern is that he's trying to convince people with his videos that he has schizophrenia so they will listen to him. People who have never known somebody with schizophrenia or dealt with it themselves are probably going to absorb what he's saying and begin thinking that people with schizophrenia are just misfits or malingers.

I'm glad to hear you recovered with Glycine, from what I read it's a amino acid found in cheese.... That's amazing! I wonder where they found the old anti-psychotics and why they were so dangerous.
  No the current anti-psychotics aren't dangerous so much as they have a severe side effect profile. If someone is on them people need to stay in treatment regardless. Thorazine was discovered in 1954 and it works by depleting dopamine from the brain which is what until recently the only neurotransmitter that they could find to modulate in schizophrenia. There are many books about how it was invented. All available neurotransmitters work on the dopamine hypothesis. The problem is in depleting dopamine it created conditions like tardive dyskinesia which are clinically similar to Parkinsons' which is caused by a lack of dopamine but created differently. Tardive dyskinesia is a form of Parkinsonianism as shown in the movie developed from the book "Awakenings" (except there as a long term effect of encephelitis). Its normally not that severe but if unchecked can become as bad as in me. Clozaril, except for a few sporadic cases doesn't cause it but it has its own set of severe side effects such as blood dyscreias and for this reason isn't used much. But regardless, anyone reading this please stay in treatment. Tardive dyskinesia can be monitored for. But it must be and having severe akathesia, according to the director of psychiatry where I testified is a sign a person is more likely to develop. People are then usually switched over to Clozaril but I couldn't tolerate that (and as people are transferred, Clozaril and glycine do interact, they can't be taken together).
  Glycine was found because in people with psychosis from pcp they were lacking in glutamate transmission. So they gave those people glycine and it stopped their psychosis. Then they theorized that from there that it might help people with schizophrenia and it did. And now studies show that people with schizophrenia are lacking in glutamate transmission so its beginning to make sense. If providers start to use this new treatment that would be their decision and would be a good thing. But people shouldn't take it on their own. But it will be a new form of antipsychotic that will be available to everyone once researched and developed as a medication. For more information on the official study google "Dr. Javitt, glycine".
So they're not dangerous, they just have side effects?

But what exactly is a side effect?

I need to know because if the stuff in the links are right I'm going to freak out.
The two main long term side effects of current antipsychotics are firstly diabetes which can be monitored for and prevented and secondly tardive dyskinesia which occurs to quote my psychopharmocologist at the rate of "5% per person per year for typical antipsychotics and 2.5% per person per year with atypical antipsychotics". For more information google "Patient Education Tardive Dyskinesia". I read through your posts and that you were trying to obtain treatment for your son and had concerns and if he can't recover from current antipsychotics or can't tolerate them and a psychiatrist (within standard clinical practice) would consider glycine I'll give you more information. When the case study on me is published I'll make the results available. I wouldn't want any post leading to someone trying it on their own but if a psychiatrist would use it within their clinical judgement that's different. Print out the official study for them and any post or journal entry I made (they are within the public domain) and if you get a favorable response from the psychiatrist let me know and I'll give you more information.
My Dad has been taking anti psychotics (for schizophrenia) for 40 years.  The last two years he has been treated for diabetes.  He is 66 years old, sick since 26 when he already had four kids.
Now he is a very tall man and as it happens he has had to take maximum doses and combine drugs throughout.

But if he didnt take them he would now be DEAD, lets face it.  That is not an assumption it is a fact.
As he took the drugs he could live his life and bring up his four children!

You have to weigh it up and the balance is very strongly towards taking the medication.
Yes definitely as I said diabetes is a risk among the atypicals. That doesn't mean it will occur. And a person with diabetes can take an antipsychotic and they can be monitored for blood sugar levels and of course they need it.  The complex issue is when someone has a disability that will definitely be worsened by an antipsychotic such as Parkinson's but in studies Zofran was helpful for that and Parkinsonian psychosis is of a different origin and I know becuase what I have that they are identifying as tardive psychosis is extremely different from schizoaffective disorder which I have recovered from and I know for sure its neurological because its always associated with spasms and Zofran, rhodiola and guanfascine all help on it and they are used for Parkinsons. I'll let the movement disorder specialist have a final say as he is a provider with knowledge but he knows its neurological and he confirmed I recovered from schizoaffective disorder as did another letter I recieved from a provider agency today but to be fair minded for their confidentiality I won't name which one.
   Regardless I don't regret taking currently available antipsychotics all my life despite having advanced tardive dyskinesia. I am just trying to find ways to get it identified earlier and treated and medications realized that don't cause it. If I didn't take antipsychotics from the beginning, I don't believe I would have committed suicide, but I would have done things that caused me to cycle in and out of a psychiatric hospital which did happen a few times regardless before recovery and I certainly would not have functioned in society or been able to make it through school.
   But as for your original post regarding the anti-psychiatry crowd, I have signed up to their sites to tell them why they are wrong as have other people but in not believing in the whole concept of having a psychiatric disability, its a bit hard to dialogue with them. But I try to redirect their energy to advocating for new anti-psychotics such as I am on to be released instead of detracting from my recovery. I don't know if certain major figures will change their stance but in knowing the experience from a consumer perspective maybe certain people will. I doubt they will remove the video but if some of the people heard my perspective maybe it would present a more constructive viewpoint and if that video posting site you mentioned is ever better moderated I would add my own comment but if you want to quote anything I said and put it on a comment on that video go ahead. Better counter their ignorance with new information or they will just say they've been censored.
I need to find truth here because I'm freaking out.

"But if he didnt take them he would now be DEAD, lets face it.  That is not an assumption it is a fact. "

To be a fact it has to be true. I cant see any evidence.

"You have to weigh it up and the balance is very strongly towards taking the medication. "

THIS IS WHAT'S BOTHERING ME!

This guy screwed with my head and has me wondering what my son might had been without them.

Is there any way to figure out if he really has schizophrenia or if he's just bipolar or what? He's obviously resisting treatment, there's no way that he could be taking anti-psychotic drugs, but he could be an actor as well.

In the meantime, my son is still suffering and looking back I'm scared his problem was that he was dealing with emotional pain but didn't know how to release and didn't trust going to others for support. He was always closed off from other people and seemed to just hold everything inside. The psychiatrists convinced me he was schizoaffective and when he got in trouble with the law we pushed to have him forcibly drugged and he killed himself... and now I see this.

I see my son... I cant stop crying.
"and he killed himself"

Not literally... But he's a vegetable but I know he's still in there, suffering.
I haven't bothered reading this yet but somebody sent me this earlier.

****.***

I read it's first claim and had to look away.

"
Living in a developed country is a “strong predictor” that a person newly diagnosed with schizophrenia will never fully recover.
                                                            World Health Organization, 1992
"

... If what I sense comes next there will be hell to pay.
  Okay. Let me explain. I am recovered now. But I wasn't before I took the current experimental antipsychotic glycine. I had a partial remmission of symptoms. That's typical.  I had all the standard symptoms. Auditory hallucinations (hearing voices), paranoia, delusions, negative symptoms (trouble relating to people and understanding what they are thinking) and cognitive symptoms (inability to process or understand worlds). I could write out exact what happenned but it would take time. But I recovered from that. My psychopharmocologist had me write it up case study fashion and he's incorporating it into his results. I am not psychotic now. As you read this. But I was fully psychotic then.
  Now if you are unsatisfied with the severe side effects of current anti-psychotics and their partial recovery rate, my psychopharmocologist said as a rule psychiatry is too. There are better treatments out there that will be realized as medications. But they are in controlled studies. I am the first confirmed proof out of study. But when its published it will be in a standard psychiatric journal. That's clinical proof of the recovery rate of the new generation of antipsychotics in study. That's worth reading more than what you are posting there.
When I said "he would be dead" i meant my Dad.
He was very unwell before medicaiotn and had no ability to take care of himself.  Even as far as crossing the road or feeding himself keeping himself warm etc.  Also he was suicidal as he felt the Lord was calling him.

So on that basis I would say it is a fact that he would be dead without medication.

OK you might do good if you are ill in an indian village where you can wonder around and then when you calm down they can give you some menial work etc?  I dont know My dad lived in a big city?

Doctors can tell if a person has schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, they can diagnose, there are differences.
Bipolar and schizophrenia are not always apart. There is a whole spectum between them. I have schizoaffective and before recovery I had auditory hallucinations ("heard voices") all the time. That's standard. But for people with bipolar with psychotic features they only hear voices or have psychotic thoughts during episodes of mania or depression and when they are euthymic (normal) they don't. I learned this specific information when I testified at that psychiatric hospital and was able to ask questions. Yes I didn't mean to detract from someone's personal experience. In fact, before recovery I had occasional suicide ideations and before medication they were very strong and the suicide rate in people with schizophrenia is high statistically but my urges were more to do things that were destructive to others which I'd rather not discuss. All I can say is I can definitely confirm that people with schizophrenia need medication.
   I was just providing some information on what the upcoming generation of antipsychotics will be like and my personal recovery experience on them. My question to the anti-psychiatry movement if they would ever address it are they concerned about the long term side effects of current anti-psychotics or do they want to detract from my recovery and say my disability doesn't exist. Hopefully, some of them can be convinced to change their mindset about treatment and ideology with new information they've never heard before.