Schizophrenia Community
auditory hallucinations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

auditory hallucinations

Hi I'm a nurse of 16 years.  My 55 year old brother called and told me he is hearing voices brining up the past when he did amphetamines 12 years ago.  He is a non insulin dependent diabetic, has hypertension, alcoholic and also has hypothyroidism.  He went to the doctor and was told everything was ought of wack, however when he got off amphetamines at 43 years old he was hearing voices and was put  on resperidal.  He has not heard any voices since he took resperidal for 2 months 12 years ago.  He recently changed jobs and is working with the people he used to do the drugs with and also has had a major break up with a girlfriend.  He guarantees me he is not doing drugs however he said he is taking multiple vitamins ie.. excessive amount of vitamin c, vitamin d and vitamin e.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it  or not but I had him stop taking all the vitamins and told him to try glycine, Help I don't know what to think or how to help him.  What can I do?  He is reluctant to tell his doctor for fear of his new job finding out.  I don't know what to think but prior to doing the drugs he has never had anyother type of symptoms of schizophrenia.  Could the excessive alcohol be bringing this on or the depression?  I thought schizophrenia didn't happen to people  in their 40's and 50's that it happened in the teens and twenties.  What suggestions can you give me if he refuses to go to a doctor.
  Before there would be any changes in his treatment regime unless a doctor states otherwise he would have go to a dual recovery group as regards alcohol and illegal drugs and a psychiatric disability because those can cause psychosis and in some cases long term psychosis (depending on the extent of the abuse). Everything he states to doctor is confidential within strict regulation. They cant' report that to his job. But his doctor needs to know what is happening.
  Glycine can be administered with a psychiatrist's express approval and consent (google "Dr. Javitt, glycine" for the study information) as an adjunct to a standard neuraleptic but the specific amount to take of the glycine which is taken in powdered concentrate within the study guidelines as well as the approval of its use must be from a psychiatrist. A psychopharmocologist might understand the use of off label or experimental medications more than a psychiatrist. But a person who has a drug abuse issue should not attempt to take anything on their own as they could potentially abuse it. Glycine is a compound in phase II FDA study as an adjunct antipsychotic so any use of it must be closely monitored. But realistically his doctor has to see what effect any illicit drug use and alcohol is having on him both temporary and permanent before any other changes are made and the decision to take a compound in clinical study would be made by a doctor after known treatments are shown not to work.
i used to hear voices and the respiridone i currently take, block out the voices, i think iladvocate takes glycine don't you
  Yes but I am the first person to respond to it for positive symptoms (hallucinations, delusions etc.) and not just specifically negative symptoms (having trouble relating to people) and cognitive symptoms (difficulty understanding and processing information). However other NMDA receptor modulate antipsychotics in development have shown help on all symptoms of schizophrenia as well as a more favorable side effect profile. They will learn more about these medications as research progresses. In the meantime although they are showing much promise in clinical study they are still at this point outside of study an unknown quantity and for myself one that is taken under strict psychiatric supervision like all medications.
is he hearing this voices at night¿¿?? or kinda daydraming time¿¿?? does he feel some kind ofthings following him¿¿??