Schizophrenia Community
chronic muscle spasms in pelvic area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

chronic muscle spasms in pelvic area

what are causing muscle spasms in my pelvic area. I have had all kinds of tests. No one knows whats wrong w me.
have you seen a specialist?
yes been to them all.
  Try thinking if anything happened when they started and discuss that with whatever doctor is following up with this and that might be of help.
  Also unless you are taking medications for schizophrenia some of which can cause temporary movement disorders you might want to repost this in another forum such as the one for orthopedic conditions because other people might be more familiar with these concerns.
I take bipolar mediine its all been checked out went on and off verything.
I am looking for answer to a related scenario. I am 56 and was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder at 22 yr old. I was given lithium, I have a problem with being able to tolerate the med, and have gone off of it numerous times. I am now going to a new shrink and have absolutely no faith in them, everyone who knows me knows it. I was raped after I was diagnosed, and that gave my Mother the bright Idea that I must have caused it. I remember parts of it, I know I just did whatever I could to survive it. After My Dad passed away I kept on the meds for a number of years and went off and began drinking after divorce.I have panic attacks and am being treated for them, and am sometimes still in grief about my Dad's death which was 10+ years ago. I do not like the affects that the seroquel is having on my body. ie severe constipation, dry month, and realize these might be minimal to some, but my body just cannot take all of these meds without reacting. and am tired of being told I am bipolar schizophrenic, I do not believe it, call it denail. Even a close friend says I am a survivor, Since I am a survivor I believe I can go off the lithium gradually as I have more than once. I will not stop them unless Psych monitors it. I know so much about the illness and am pretty sure I have been labeled for so long that I have accpted it in my mind and have been acting out the disorder for all these years. I am a writer on Hubpages, and am able to keep our home very nice and do all my responsibilites the way they should be done. Do you think I am wrong to deny the diagnosies of all the pro's. I am a teacher and always have had a thrist for knowledge thats unequaled...I am happy in a wonderful relationship, but these issues are taking a toll on both of us. Please give feedback.  
If it's not too personal, can you give more info and describe the spasms and the exact location? Are they more like severe cramping or are they sharp? Does the pain radiate anywhere else? Have you had any low back/flank pain just before it began? How long has it been happening? Do the spasms cause any bowel or urinary disturbances (ie. diarrhea, constipation, increased frequency /difficulty urinating, etc.) Do you have all your female parts intact? Are you menopausal? (Or post?)
I've taken care of many patients with abdominal/pelvic spasms and their discomfort is usually related to the urinary tract (kidney or bladder stones), their bowels (digestive disorders or infection), or their reproductive parts (ovarian cysts, pregnancy). Rarely is it a symptom caused by medications unless the effects are widespread (show elsewhere in the body.) I know this doesn't help much, but as a care provider and as a patient, I have found that our medical system treats our bodies as if the parts are all separate, requiring separate specialists for evaluation, rather than as a whole unit. This makes it difficult to connect issues that paint the bigger picture.
I have had severe constipation. Once flushed out I was told the spasms would go away but they havent. Waiting on results of colonoscopy and endoscopy. Went to ne shrink yesterday. Cant get meds for nerves till 23rd. Thet think could be stress a breakdown. The only thing that happened before I got sick was a terrible panic attack. SO now IM all knotted up in pelvic area. All my muscles are sore and ache and theyre all starting to spaz. I have been completely checked out by obgyn. Its like kaegels but involuntary and I stay in the cramped up state it wont release. I sure wish u could give me some more input. thanks alot.
My first thoughts are this is caused by something irritating the nerves in your pelvic cavity. It could also be referrred pain from an issue elsewhere (like a kidney stone stuck in a ureter coming into the bladder, an infection that involves your cervix or uterine wall, or a growing ovarian cyst.) Another thought is an infection like shingles that has not shown on the surface as yet. This doesn't seem likely though, as it does not cause constipation.

Another a thought...Do you have/have you had: Kidney stones? Frequent urination? Constipation? (Okay, that was a yes) Muscle and joint aches/pain? Depression? Fatigue? Menses problems (heavy flow, excessive cramps, irregular, hot flashes)? Frequent headaches? heartburn? Faster than normal heartbeat at rest? If so, check out thyroid and parathyroid disease.
How about any spinal nerve issues (low back) or symptoms of multiple sclerosis? (Sciatic nerve irritation, cauda equina, recent trauma to tailbone or cervix).
It is interesting you mention the panic attack. If these are fairly new to you, there is usually an underlying cause -like a disease process that shows up as unexplained stress, creating an overload. Schitzophrenia and other mental illnesses carry their own illnesses caused by stress but the collection of your symptoms does not sound like one of them. The docs are probably having trouble pinning this down as it affects more than one body system. I wish you the best of luck getting to the bottom of this. Keep me posted on what you find, okay?
Resulyts of scope came back 2 polyps were ok. two of them are the type that can turnn into cancer. Waiting on endoscopy results. Also went to a new shrink for my nerves panic disorder and nerves. . See a dr. on 23rd. They think nerves could be causing them. Yes I have sciatia stenosous, herniated disk. Had xrays done Mri cat scans ultra sounds. NO Ive had panic attacks for quite awhile. Beenn to obgyn.Thanks much