Schizophrenia Community
does hydrocodone cause Psychosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

does hydrocodone cause Psychosis?

hello everyone,Does hydrocodone cause Psychosis?
I've never heard of it causing psychosis.
From what I could see on clinically reliable websites it has the potential of causing abnormal changes in thoughts as a rare side effect and if that occurs a person should speak to their doctor about it immediately.
I was wondering, how do you tell if you're having something occur such as abnormal thoughts anyway?
Yes that's a difficult question. I know I have had some medications such as certain mood stabilizers and one time an antibiotic cause mood swings (either mania or depression or both) or psychosis as short term adverse side effects. I just knew that when I started to take that specific medication things got worse in a way that seemed different from any standard psychosis or mood swings I have. Its really hard to know that in advance and its easy if you know to watch for it (if its a known listed side short term adverse side effect). Other than that the best rule of thumb is at it says on all prescriptions which is to report any mental or physical changes to your doctor or psychiatrist and they can further determine where its from.