Schizophrenia Community
how do i come off of geodon and perphenazine without getting chills?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

ATTENTION: EXPERT ON PSYCHIATRIC MEDICATIONS

hi, i am 36 years old. when i was 30 i came down with paranoia. now i am not paranoid anymore, whatsoever. i was recently taking 20 milligrams of geodon and 4 milligrams of perphenazine per day to prevent paranoia. and when i went down to zero milligrams of geodon i got chills up my spine, which i do not want. i have no fever and am not shivering right now. so i went back to taking 20 mg geodon after the one day of chills, still had chills and took another 20 mg of geodon. taking 40 mg of geodon did not stop the chills. i've still had them for two weeks or so. how do i come off of geodon and perphenazine without getting chills up my back? i do not feel paranoid anymore at all, not remotely, and i want to live a normal life off of medications completely. i have not had paranoia for over a year, even every time my psychiatrist allows me to lower my dosage, i just simply do not think paranoiac thoughts anymore and don't believe in them. i learned to oppose paranoid thinking patterns and i know that paranoid notions of people wanting to kill me are just not true. my previous psychiatric medications history: first of all, before i ever took psychiatric meds, even when i was paranoid, i did not have the sensation of chills up my back for longer than a brief second. i had previously taken depalept chrono or depakene, depakote, for 10 months, stopped for half a year, and then took depalept chrono for another year. depalept chrono caused me severe hair growth problems, extremely itching pruritus and many skin problems. then i took perphenazine for a short time, about a month, and at first it was fine, but high dosage of perphenazine gave me crazy chills and shivers on a hot day. i felt so cold i put on a few layers and a sweater. on that same day i went into paranoia. i felt that the odd feeling of the chills in my back and dressing inappropriately for the weather because i felt severe chills, contributed to the paranoia. so when i stopped the high dose of perphenazine, the chills went away and i stopped shivering. then i took lithium for a little while, but it gave me severe weight gain and sleeping problems, so i switched to geodon. i gradually went down from 80 mg geodon/4 mg perphenazine to 60 mg/4, 40 mg/4 and 20 mg/4. one time when i was taking 20 mg geodon, i think, i had a urinary infection and had the worst chills ever due to the infection. but after i got antibiotics against the urinary infection, the chills and shivers went away. when i was taking 20 mg geodon and 4 mg perphenazine, i felt a slight chill, without shivers, but one i could handle, one that was not too bothersome - and felt no paranoia. but the fact that coming down from 40 mg geodon to 20 gave me any chills whatsoever bothered me. but on the one day that i took zero mg geodon and 4 mg perphenazine, i got terrible chills, though not accompanied with fever or shaking, or shivering. and going back to the same 20 mg geodon has not helped. what do i do? i want to come off of geodon and perphenazine f o r e v e r and WITHOUT CHILLS! i never had any chills in my life before i started taking all these psychiatric meds! my psychiatrist says geodon and/or geodon withdrawal don't cause chills. my pediatrician says that if my psychiatrist says it's not from the geodon and the perhenazine, then it must be a virus or something. but i read online about geodon causing flu-like symptoms like chills, sensations of coldness, hypothermia, etc. i have read online that patients commonly complain of chills from taking geodon and chills from withdrawing from geodon. i read online that there is a rare but existing occurence of patients who get chills from perphenazine, which i had experienced previously. it sounds like there's no way out, like i'll never be able to come off of geodon and perphenazine without getting chills. what do i do? how do i come off of geodon and perphenazine forever without getting any sensations of cold, chills, hypothermia? as i have said before, i do not feel any remnant or hint even of paranoid thoughts, which in my case the geodon and perphenazine are supposed to prevent. i have learned to get over delusion paranoid notions that are not based on reality. actually the side effects of psychiatric meds bother me far more than the ultra-remote, far-fetched chance of my old paranoid fears coming true. when i used to be paranoid, if i heard someone walk by our house, i'd think they're coming to kill me, or if i heard people talking on the bus, etc, i'd eavesdrop to see when they'll mention killing me. i don't do that any more. i just don't care and am not interested in those unimportant things. so i am definitely not paranoid anymore. so why should i have to suffer chills up my back if i don't need anti-paranoia medication anymore? please advise me how to come off of geodon and perphenazine and any other psychiatric meds for good, without getting chills!
if the question's too long, i'll shorten it and omit details. the beginning of the question is the gist of it. it quickly gets to "how can i go down from 20 mg geodon and 4 mg perphenazine to no meds of any kind at all, WITHOUT HAVING THE SIDE EFFECTS OF CHILLS OR SENSATIONS OF COLD UP MY BACK" the geodon+perphenazine are to prevent paranoia, which i havent had for a year, including each time my psychiatrist allowed me to gradually reduce dosage. i have no paranoid thoughts at ALL anymore
Those withdrawal effects are not long term. You just have to titrate off the medications at the rate your psychiatrist states and if they don't notice a return in symptoms you should be fine.
damn, i really hope so cuz these chills are the WORST. i HATE feeling chills and feeling uncomfortable. i dont feel paranoid, though, which is what the meds are for. i am taking the 20 mg geodon and 4 mg perphenazine again, but they are not helping the chills. i should not have to take anti-paranoia medication against chills up my spine when i feel no paranoia. the uncomfortable chills disturb my ability to sleep as well. i take sleeping pills that dont clash with the geodon and perphenazine, but the sleeping pills work only within a couple of hours of taking them. recently, while having chills all the time, i would fall asleep finally at least 5 hours after taking the sleeping pills, when the sleeping pills' effect is no longer. i wish i knew exactly how "not-long-term" these chills are. a month, two months, etc. may be not long term, but are hell to go thru if during that month or two you still feel chills. i've already had these chills two weeks. and i only stopped taking geodon for a single day, which is when the chills started. it didnt even change anything regarding the chills when i went back to taking the 20 mg geodon and 4 mg perphenazine. i am waiting to talk to my pediatrician and to my psychiatrist again, to see what can be done. thanks for answering though. i feel beat. these chills suck. i want to get past this final 20 mg's geodon and 4 mg's perphenazine. i want to take ZERO MILLIGRAMS of ANY medication!
so my pediatrician said i have no trace of any virus going by the blood tests. and my psychiatrist is sick, so he called off my appointment with him today. since my pediatrician cant help, i'm stuck with these chills at least a few more days til my psychiatrist feels well (i wonder if he himself has a fever, virus, flu or cold or something). i really wanted to show him the proof i found on the web on various psychiatric websites saying that taking geodon as well as geodon withdrawal may cause chills among many other side effects. also perphenazine causes chills on rare occasions to like 1% of patients. i guess i am of that 1%. it seems i am in the 1% or "rare" side effects category. my body usually doesnt respond well to these psychiatric meds, as my sum total of weird hair growth, huge 60% weight increase (mostly in the belly) and a sh*tload of skin problems that has made my dermatologist perscribe dozens of different skin ointments and creams over the time that i've been taking various psychiatric meds. help! i want to be off of psychiatric meds forever! and WITHOUT CHILLS!!!!
meds should be tapered off eventually
i know. i have been coming down on my dosage gradually this last year. i was taking 20 mg geodon and 4 mg perphenazine for at least 2 months if not longer, and my doctor (psychiatrist) allowed me to reduce the dosage to zero mg geodon and 4 mg perphenazine. and one day on zero milligrams geodon gave me chills. so i took the same 20 mg geodon/4 mg pephenazine and STILL felt chills. then i took another 20 mg geodon on the same day - and that didnt help - i STILL felt chills. i have gone back to the previous dosage of 20 mg geodon/4 mg perphenazine for 2.5 weeks now and STILL feel the chills up my back. i HAVE been reducing dosage gradually and going by my psychiatrist's recommendations. about a year ago i was taking 80 mg geodon/4 mg perphenazine so i have come a long way. but when i was taking the 20 mg geodon, i felt slight chills. but i emphasize slight because they were not so bothersome, th chills were very mild. but it did bother me that i felt any chills at all. anyway the chills i feel now are terrible, not slight at all. and my psychiatrist is sick with the flu or something, so he called off our appointment when i need his help badly to fix these chills. i've been tring to get the psychiatrist expert on this website to answer me, dr robert gould m.d. i think his name is, who answers questions in the mental health category. but it keeps saying "todays quota of questions has been filled. post your question tomorrow" or something like that.
We took our daughter off 100 mg Geodon very slowly. She was also taking 6mg of perphenazine and Lithium and a slew of other delightful drugs.  What we found worked best is to decrease the Geodon 20mg at a time. You shouldn't play with the perphenazine at the same time.  She has now been off the Geodon for about 2 weeks and is fine.  No side effects.  She is now coming off of Lithium which was 1200mg er.  Dropping her down 150mg every week to 10 days, per her psych.  Along the way 2mg of perphenazine has been dropped as well.  Hope to be off these drugs soon.  Good luck, and just go real slow.