Schizophrenia Community
oops!!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

oops!!

hey i need some insight guys & gals i gained weight 75 lbs. with respiridone and my sugar is up 30 pts. i gained now two lbs. a day and i threw out my risperdal i started 2x 20mg.(breakfast) & 3x20mg. (supper) of geodon now i feel great with the cogentin also was i wrong to change? also i need to know from you'all ( i mean iladvocate) if you remember how many calories i have to eat to successfully satisfy the enzymes & geodon to digest the meds together?
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
  The important thing to do with any medication change is to work with your psychiatrist so they can give you a titration schedule to follow and be able to give direct advice as to how to address this concern. Weight gain from antipsychotics can be a concern. It might be worthwhile to ask your psychiatrist about a referral to a nutritionist. If the weight gain continues to the point where it could be of concern healthwise as regards the potential of diabetes I do know some people who experience this are prescribed Metformin as a preventative measure and you could ask your psychiatrist if this is a potential option.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
also i wanted to mention that my parents have diabetes and i am deathly afraid of developing it cuz i read on google that anti-psychotics cause this to happen especially for addicts& alcoholics like ME and my age also (including TD.)
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
  The important thing to do with any medication change is to work with your psychiatrist so they can give you a titration schedule to follow and be able to give direct advice as to how to address this concern. Weight gain from antipsychotics can be a concern. It might be worthwhile to ask your psychiatrist about a referral to a nutritionist. If the weight gain continues to the point where it could be of concern healthwise as regards the potential of diabetes I do know some people who experience this are prescribed Metformin as a preventative measure and you could ask your psychiatrist if this is a potential option.
Blank
675718_tn?1321008971
thank you iladvocate take care and happy holidays !  :)
Blank
be carefull if you want to come of geodon it has nasty withdrawal consequences but most docs are oblivious.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Schizophrenia Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...