Schizophrenia Community
question about getting off of geodon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to schizophrenia and other schizoaffective disorders.

question about getting off of geodon

I HAVE BEEN ON GEODON 80MG ONCE A DAY FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW.  I HAVE RECENTLY DEVELOPED HIGH BLOOD SUGAR DUE TO THIS MEDICATION.  I HAVE DECIDED TO GET OFF THE DRUG.  I HAVE HEARD TERRIBLE STORIES ABOUT GETTING OFF OF GEODON.  I WAS THINKING ABOUT TAKING 1 PILL EVERY OTHER DAY THEN EVERY THIRD DAY THEN STOP.  HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS?  WHAT KIND OF SYMPTOMS SHOULD I EXPECT COMING OFF THE MED.

BRANDY
All current antipsychotics can cause this. Not just Geodon. The only antipsychotics that can't cause that are in research such as the one I am under study for (read through my posts if you wish) but they are a very real possibility. But Abilify out of the current antipsychotics is the least likely to cause this side effect. But Geodon can cause heart arrythmia (the only one that can do this) so I would not feel comfortable detailing how to stop it. Please speak to your psychiatrist and follow exact instructions. Perhaps a change to Abilify would be warranted at this point. But please work with them. Discontinuing a medication on your own is never a good idea and I'd be especially concerned about Geodon in that regard. Let them know why you want to stop it and perhaps they can change your medications and provide more cogent advice.
i take abilify and gained 50 pounds-drifter0213
Well although Abilify is the least likely to cause weight gain it still can happen. I think its a good idea to see a nutritionist and have a diet to reduce calorie and sugar intake and some simple solutions to lose weight. That is one of the current drawbacks of current antipsychotics. But people do need antipsychotics. I certainly did and would not have wanted to not take them for the years I did because untreated psychosis is not a good thing either. In a not too long number of years there will be a new generation of antipsychotics and this is among the side effects they won't cause. As I always say I'll keep people updated. The reason I posted that information out of concern is three antipsychotics at once is definitely against good medical judgment. Abilify despite its drawbacks is safe long term and as I said there are better things in the works.
Our daughter now 27 has been on Abilify and gaining weight too but Abilify
has been a very good med for her.   She is doing well and after continuation
for over 12 months her negative symptoms improved too, she is back to Uni
with her own motivation.   Just wish she did not gain this weight although
prior to Abilify,  Seroquel gave her excessive weight gain and made her Diabetic.
i would be careful about getting off geodon that sounds scray to me......i cant sleep with out it .......and i just start to feel sick and werid...
DON'T DISCONTINUE IT GEODON ON YOUR OWN.  I'm on Geodon and was forced to go cold turkey and I had the worst flu-like symptoms and I have tremors still that are worse than when I had them before I started taking it and I was having anxiety attacks which I never had before and surreal dreams that left me feeling horrible after I woke up and I think my heart was freaking out because I'd just feel it pounding for no reason in my chest.
I'm on the same dosage as you by the way and was at the time I was forced to go cold turkey off of it.
One of the worst things while changing meds,in my experience personally, is waking with a strong feeling of dread. For me, it's always passed over time.