Self Harm Community User Group
Allergy and SH
About This Group:

This is a group where those struggling with self harm issues can come to be supported in a safe, warm, and supportive environment. PLEASE NOTE: If there is a possibility that what you write may "trigger" someone, please leave a warning and space in the title of your post and inside the post itself so that we do not unintentionally trigger others who are vulnerable.

Founded by LovelyLemonTree on January 15, 2013
19 members

Allergy and SH

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((TRIGGER)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I am allergic to all metals except titanium.  Everytime I cut I use stainless steel blades, razors, etc  I immediately get a rash at the site's.  So I end up burning them because they itch really bad.  Then as they start to heal the itching becomes worse so I will use pumice stone, sandpaper, etc and scrub the begesum's out of the area's, then I pour alcohol on them, which does help the area's eventually feel a bit better.  I take prescribed allergy meds daily, but still the itching gets intense.

Has anyone else experienced allergic reactions to their sh "tools" of the trade?  If so, how do you treat the area's to prevent the itching from getting out of hand to the point of infection?

Thank you.
Gra'
I'm so sorry for your allergy...its as if your body is telling you in more ways than one to stop...but i am not allergic to anything...yet. do you disinfect your tools? this may be weird but tattoo artists use vaseline to create a barrier for the needle to move easier...maybe that will create the same effect? I of course hope you choose a diff distraction. but i understand. and I am thinking of you. - sending loving vibes our way <3
I soak my "tools" in alcohol and also clean the potential sites with alcohol prior to engaging in SH.  

So is the vaseline applied before or after the fact?  It's worth a try.  I have tried using some of the DBT/CBT skills... distracting, tried sewing, tried reading, tried cleaning ocd style, but everything litterally is a trigger for me and to stop the pressure of the volcano inside of me from exploding, I've been shing more frequently.  I do not feel "trusting" in calling crisis, support team, etc so that part of my skills training I've ignored.

I'm trying to stay disconnected, disassociated from everything, because I feel so lost, alone, and do not know what to do, where to turn, who to trust, etc...  So until I can figure anything out... trying to stay outside of myself is how I am coping.

Thank you for understanding and for thinking of me and sending loving vibes and for the suggestion.

Gra'
**********************TRIGGER*************************

I, too, am allergic to metals.  And I get a reaction from my "tools" as well, though mine puffs up in a red, irritated area around the wound.  I also take allergy meds but they don't seem to help when it comes to this.  

I don't know what the solution to this is other than to totally stop using all tools to SH.  I don't like that any idea more than you do (I can imagine the reaction you're having to this).  The only thing I can think of to prevent the reaction is to put some of that Benadryl spray on your tools before you use them.  

I'm not encouraging SH by any means (and I hope it's not coming across like that), so I hope you take this as a stab in the dark -- so to speak.  
Thank you.  I understand you are not encouraging SH in anyway... but since I do engage in it, I appreciate the idea's of Vaseline from Rugger and for the idea of Benadryl spray on the tools prior to use.  

What is the phrase they use about not taking away the SH methods but teaching about SH reduction in this critical stage?  I'm far from being in a place of giving up SH... so I will try to work on reducing the SH in baby steps.

Gra'
I didnt even know there was a spray! good to know. and baby steps is moving the right direction, even if they seem like small goes. being able to distract yourself for an amount of time, than longer the next and so on. or a goal to finish a painting or a book first. hope you are feeling better (HUGS)
My therapist in the hospital told me to take baby steps for my agoraphobia...I couldn't help thinking of What About Bob the movie.  Just figured you could use a little levity.   "Death Therapy, Bob"
I love "What about Bob"  it was hillarious.  Thank you for this. XOXO
knew it wouldnt last that long...
1 hr ago by mishymoshymarcy
Nighthawk61 commented on Promises to myself
mishymoshymarcy commented on Promises to myself
Dec 13