Self-Improvement Coaching Expert Forum
2nd question

This forum is for questions and support regarding tips and techniques to help people begin to take accountability and responsibility for their general well-being and move towards improvement in all areas of their life: work, home, and relationships.

2nd question

So, am I to understand that you support this avenue?  And strange that you mention the visualization because I was also looking into maybe making a visualiztion video to watch (kind of like the secret) but of me and my wants and needs.  I did make myself a visual board but I am not sure if its working yet.  I wish I had some instruction on exactly how, what kinds of phrases, how often to look at or watch something, etc...    Do you have any advice in this area at all?
Tags: Wellness
  • Hynosis? (2 replies):
    What do you think about using hypnosis CD's for various ...[more]
The key to success with any technique is to find what works for you.  If you’ve never been hypnotized, you have no way to tell what type of results you will get.  Therefore, if you are exploring this route, I recommend doing this supervised with a certified professional who is trained in hypnosis.

Many visualization techniques are very powerful and effective.  For example, the research indicates that injured Olympic runners who use visualization to run races in their minds while they take time off experience no gaps in their performance when they resume training.  They actually seem to simulate the experience physiologically.  

You’ve heard about the mental game.  Visualization techniques that are the most powerful and effective actually become mental dress rehearsals or simulations.  Professional athletes use these techniques to enhance their performance.  What this process does is to have the mind involved in helping you to achieve a higher level of performance.  To increase the effectiveness of this technique, the visualization or simulation experience needs to involve your imagination and your emotions.  You imagine seeing the picture of the results you want to achieve, visually, and then engage the rest of your senses.  Imagine what the results would feel like in your body?  Do you hear the difference?  The key is to really imagine the experience as if it was occurring right now.  Ask yourself, if I had these results, what would it look like? Feel like? What would be different?  What would be the same?    

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

As Emerson states, the most important thing to remember is that you, alone, know what works for you and what doesn’t.  Explore and try different techniques.  Use what works.  There is no right or wrong technique.  Frequency is up to you.  Use phrases or affirmations that make sense to you.  What works for one person may or may not work for you.  You can search the Internet or peruse the self-help book section in a bookstore to generate more ideas.  It’s primarily about learning to know yourself and discovering what helps you reach your highest potential.    

If you are not successful with these techniques on your own, consult with a professional who has experience and training.  

Wishing you success with your visualization adventures,

Your forum coach, Wanda