Self-Improvement Coaching Expert Forum
Finding Time for Creative Activities

This forum is for questions and support regarding tips and techniques to help people begin to take accountability and responsibility for their general well-being and move towards improvement in all areas of their life: work, home, and relationships.

Finding Time for Creative Activities

How do I make time for creative activities, like art projects? Even though I love to do them - they seem to get overlooked in the busy routine.  
It’s about planning.  What happens to most of us is what I call good intentions.  I have learned from experience that unless you put it on the schedule, it won’t happen.  It’s too easy to keep talking about it in theory.  For example, many of us would like to plan a trip overseas, or even a vacation but life gets in the way.  So, what I recommend is just taking one action step this week.  

First things first, do you have the materials to work on an art project right now?  If not, the first step is to schedule in a trip to the art store, or a hobby store, depending on your interests.  This doesn’t have to break your budget.  Instead of planning a huge project, start with a little project, something that can be accomplished in 1 hour.  Once you have the materials, take a look at your schedule for the upcoming week.  On your calendar, plot out your activities that are already scheduled.  For example, if you work 9-5, or later, write in your hours that you are at work, enter in commuting time, meals, fitness, or exercise, sleep, and look at what’s left.  Usually, you don’t even realize that you have quite a bit of time that isn’t pre-committed.  The secret to making this work is to realistically review all your activities and make sure they are recorded on your planning calendar.  What you are asking for is to start with one hour of your 7 day week or 1 hour out of the next 168 hours or less than one hundredth (.01) of your next 7 days.  Ask yourself, after you review your calendar, what day and time will I spend one hour on something I truly enjoy?  Are you worth it?  One of my previous bosses told me something very profound:  “When you wake up, you have a check for 24 hours, it’s up to you how you choose to use it.”

Your forum coach Wanda