Senior Health Community
50% of women over 50 have pelvic organ prolapse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Hi members of the Senior Health Community!

I'm connecting to you from the Urogynecology Community; this is one of the new communities on Medhelp. Pelvic organ prolapse is an extremely common female health issue that most women aren't aware of until after they are diagnosed with it. Many symptoms within the pelvic cavity overlap between different conditions; pelvic organ prolapse is one of those conditions. Menopause is the second leading cause of POP (childbirth is first); when women lose estrogen during menopause, the impact to tissue strength and integrity is very noticeable. This can lead to POP problems. Of course this does not mean that all women having problems in their pelvic cavities have POP, but since menopause is a senior women's arena, I think our communities will complement each other well.  I am hopeful that if you have several of the symptoms of POP listed below, that you will dig into pelvic organ prolapse a bit to see if the shoe fits. The most common symptoms of POP are:

Pressure in the vagina or rectum or both
Rectal pain
Urinary incontinence
Urine retention (you have to pee, it just won't come out)
Feels like your insides are falling out (you can see a bulge of tissue at end of vagina if you look with mirror)
Pelvic or abdominal pain or discomfort
Back pain
Heaviness in pelvic region
Constipation
Fecal incontinence
Tampons "push out"
Painful intercourse
Lack of sensation during sex.

Every forum within MedHelp is dedicated to helping you find the information and support you need!

Urogynecology Community Leader
SherrieP
An additional comment on this post is that you need not be menopausal to have POP. Many woman suffer from this condition early in life. And many woman also have early menopause as I did at 39. However as we age the symptoms can become increasingly troublesome. I was diagnosed with this in my mid-twenties and chose not to treat it. Corrective surgery is not an option for me, not because of age but due to extreme internal injuries form a MVA that make surgery life threatening.

I understand that this is the Senior Health Forum but it is an important issue for all ages. My mother also has this condition and had the simplest corrective surgery offered her in her late fifties hoping it would be effective. It wasn't and now that she is in her seventies the more complex surgery is not an option for her due to other serious health issues.

I encourage all females to see an good urologist as soon as these symptoms appear. The sooner this is treated the better. Don't put it off until other health factor must be considered. For my mother it is now a serious issues from POP that she has endure. Had she had the right surgery initially this would not be the problem it is now.

Thanks for sharing Sherrie.

~Tuck
How about kegel exercises as a routine.for male and female?
Hello Dalubaba,

You bring up a good point. Kegel exercises can be beneficial in strengthening the pelvic floor muscles, They are often considered the first "line of defense" against urinary incontinence for both females and males. They are early stage treatments. Some females never develop POP. I don't know the statistics for development of POP for those that have routinely performed Kegal exercises since childbirth and those that have not.

It is important for females to avoid heavy lifting. As said earlier other treatments for POP due include Kegel exercises and some physicians will prescribe estrogen supplementation and include electrical stimulation and biofeedback in their treatment plan. However in most cases where symptoms are not control by non-invasive procedures surgery is eventually required.

Funny we often don't think of men and their incontinence issues, which usually have other origins.  Good thought and thank you for reminding us of these important exercises for both sexes.

~Tuck
Hi Tuck!

I didn't see the March entry in Sr health Tuck, thanks! I normally "preach" about impact to young women (I do speak with women in their 30s & 40s all the time who have POP, 20s not as often but as you know by experience, it occurs in this age pocket as well); I am trying to change the awareness curve about this so all women have knowledge by childbearing age since vaginal childbirth is the largest cause of POP. We really need to get the physicians on board with this, women going in for pelvic exams should be educated about the impact of POP and PC and Kegel awareness should be established at a young age as a preventetive tool.

And yes, Dalubaba, Kegels are very important for men as well. Not much is discussed about male incontinence but it certainly occurs. Kegels are also beneficial for men for obtaining and sustaining better erections. Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Sher
While navigating the website, I just remembered Kundalini yoga. There are three important energy centers namely root chakra, Sex chakra and solar plexus chakra. Locking these chakras is most important exercise of kundalini yoga. Here we compress the lower part (all the above chakra). There are different techniques to stimulate these chakras. Blood circulation is increased and it is most likely to help restore the normal strength. You have resources and I am sure any yoga expert will be happy to contribute to this cause. Please do explore in this direction as an alternative therapy or preventive therapy. You may also learn about hydro-therapy(water therapy). This is just a random suggestion. I will explore yoga literature if i can find something useful.
I just saw a short piece today that mentioned Kundalini, if either of you happen on to a good site about this type of yoga, please share! I know nothing about this type of yoga, would like to see something on it.
Sher