Senior Health Community
COLD AND THE ACHES AND PAINS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

COLD AND THE ACHES AND PAINS

8695788?1357406090
I THINK I HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION A 100 TIMES NEVER GET A GOOD ANSWER. WHAT DOES THE COLD DO TO THE BODY . I KNOW I JUST TURNED 69 ALL OF A SUDDEN IT IS COLD, 34* FOGGY, DREARY AND I FEEL WORN OUT TIRED. JUST LOOKING AT IT.  I USED TO WALK IN REAL COLD WEATHER NEVER BOTHERED ME. BUT I KNOW I FEEL ACHIE WHEN I GET HOME (I HAVE ARTHRITIS IN KNEES) IF IT IS FOGGY I TAKE A DEEP BREATH MY CHEST FEELS TIGHT.  WHEN I WALK OUT MY DOOR AND THAT COLD HITS ME AND I HAVE SO MANY CLOTHES ON. BUT MY CIRCULATION MUST BE GOOD , I DO START WARMING UP. I GOT 40 MIN. IN BEFORE IT TURNED THIS COLD , I WALKED 3 DOGS ROTTWEILER ONE BY ONE. BUT THEY HAVE ARTHRITIS IN KNEES AND ELBOWS THE VET TOLD ME NOT TO WALK THEM IN THIS COLD WEATHER.  I FEEL DEPRESSED. AND NOW I FEEL OLD
awww dont feel like that I just spotted your pics, I live in CA and I have been cold this year ...I have got Flu at the moment had it for 7 days now ...but less coughing today now anti biotics kicked in .
Dear margypops:  So sorry you have the flu . that ***** take good care of yourself. it gets cold where I live in California . it never bothered me before but it is now.  do you get real cold???? ache my legs bother me and iI have been walker long long time.  well thanks for your message.
  Oh sweetie, if you are getting in 40 minutes of excerise a day with your fur babies, you look fantastic, you have a positive attitude, you sound very intelligent, you are doing better than most! Don't be hard on yourself! I live in Sacramento and its colder here this morning than it was in New York City! Yes, I am freeeeezing!!! This year is extra cold! Take care & count your blessings. Best of health.
The dreary look of the day can affect the spirit- they even have given the depression which can come with cloudy days the label seasonal affective disorder or S.A.D..  The light of the sun really can lift the mood.  You might consider for indoors for those cloudy, dreary looking days when the sun cannot be seen, getting some of those light bulbs like they use for solariums for plants that imitated natural sunlight for a warmer glow in your home.

Then too, there are changes that can happen to the barometric pressure that can cause things like migraines.

The coldness somehow obviously affects arthritic joints, as my arthritic jaw joints tell me, and I wonder if barometric pressure doesn't play a role in that too.

I would guess the coldness might also make your muscles tighten up, besides I know coldness can constrict your blood vessels... I wonder if this accounts for your difficulty with breathing that happens at first, before you get warmed up?

On a cold dreary day, if it feels to difficult to get out, maybe you could use an exercise bike or treadmill at home in your specially light bulbed room with some favorite music going and make your dogs walk about the house more?