Depression...Is it no wonder?
Our profession overlooks the obvious in the aged, who are depressed and at times may be difficult.

One has seen one's youth go down the tubes, lost a spouse, friends and living in a society who has little or no patience for the elders of it's community.  Is it no wonder depression sets in?  Instead of trying to medicate the problem away, suggest to the family to try more TLC, and if possible for the elder to get out, to get them into a senior group or pass time where they get out and about and can hopefully make some friends??

One can see the difference in care when people hit the age of about 60+ or so. Doctors start giving the "yeah", "yeah" response to elders bringing up physical or mental concerns and are brushed off with little or no interest and given anti depressants and unnecessary drugs.  
I am not the only one who has observed this.
Maybe with the Boomers coming into this age group things will change. One can hope.

I often just think, when I see medical professionals acting like this.  Just you wait, time will bring your lesson home hard, and you'd best hope the attitudes towards our elders has changed by the time you are one.

Chinese curse: May you live a long life.
Hello Patzy,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am sorry that your PCP (Primary Care Physician) apparently is not listening to ... or addressing your concerns.

While I agree with some of what you have written, such as depression can accompany aging, I respectfully disagree with many of your opinions. What "profession" are you referring to when you say, "Our profession overlooks the obvious in the aged, who are depressed and at times may be difficult. " I've spent years in the medical profession and don't see that as an blanket accurate statement.

I do think it is true that sadly some portions of our society does not hold it's seniors in high regard. If one is not active and employed it's even more true. Some see seniors as unproductive members of society..... and forget all that they have given for years before retirement or disability..

It's also true that friends, neighbors, relatives, loved ones and spouses leave our lives, sometime much too soon. Certainly this impacts our physical and emotional well being. It's the life cycle... it's inevitable. We are born to die.  

I also believe that sadly a select few physicians tend to "write off" seniors.  If one has aches or pains at seventy their reply can be, "What do you expect, you're not 20 anymore!"  However I have not seen that as the norm. My mother just turned 79 and her PCP continues to tell her, "You're not old. We'll talk about old when you're ninety." Nor have my physicians ever dismissed my concerns now that I am disabled and approaching sixty.... yes I have some years to go but still I am not forty. I am a Boomer!!  I have friends that are sixty, seventy and older. I don't know one that is treated poorly by their PCP because of their age.

So if your PCP is not listening to you or is dismissing your concerns it's time to find another that will treat you as you deserve to be treated. Good health care is imperative your entire life but even more so as a senior.

I agree 100% that TLC, attention and time with seniors will often do more for their mental health then any "pill."  I am not including those that are clinically depressed and have an off balance of the chemicals our bodies produce to help control depression.

I associate with active, content seniors most everyday. I have friends that range in age from 40-85. Many of the so called seniors can run circles around me. They love life and enjoy most every moment... regardless of their age, disability or loss of loved ones. It's not the cards of life that are dealt us that matters but how we play our hand.  

The so called "Golden Years" are filled with challenge. I am no Pollyanna and I don't mean to imply otherwise. Joints and "parts" wear out. Just getting around can be difficult. Funds are limited as many are forced to live on a fixed income and it's often "fixed" low."  But I've never been wiser and I intend gather wisdom with every passing year. Yes a dementia may even rob me of this wisdom I am attempting to gather... and that's when Faith is even more important.  No one can take our Faith from us.

Maybe it's the way I was raised, my attitude and the attitude of the two states where I reside.... but the elderly I know, as well as my aging self are not generally treated as you describe. Have I observed a few incidents that support your opinion, sure. However it's not the norm and I am sorry that you believe differently.

I hope you'll be active in our community. I'll look forward to hearing more from you.... and though I may not agree with all that you have said I do appreciate that you have shared your opinions. Thanks to the many seniors that fought or gave their lives for our freedoms.... you can openly share your opinions. I'd be negligent if I didn't say thanks to the young that continue to fight for our freedoms too.

I Wish You Blessings,
~Tuck
Sorry my above reply was a bit long!!!   As you, I have some strong thoughts and/or opinions.  :o)

~Tuck
Thanks for your well balanced thoughts on seniors' situation. When I was in college, I read in one book, that one should prepare oneself for retirement right from the beginning of one's career. We have to develop hobby which we can continue and develop in later years.If we think that we will develop a hobby when we are old,it would be difficult to develop new hobby in old age. So if we have planned well, we will not be bothered by small irritations.
Looking to the postings in health forums in innumerable websites, it appears to be correct that people are not satisfied with medical profession.Probably this situation prevail -maybe because of lack of time, lack of knowledge or the subject is so complicated that there are straight answers to many medical problems.Your posts are always informative and thought provoking. thanks.
I am glad that you found my comments well balanced. I appreciate your knowledgeable input and response.  

I do agree that we should plan for retirement from the beginning of our lives... so many don't. Who at 20, 30 and sometimes 40 ever think that retirement is just around the corner. We are too busy raising children and in many situations making ends meet and then helping our children through higher education.

We "Boomers" often find ourselves with the added challenge of caring for our parents..... Dear souls who were raised to believe that Social Security would meet all their needs.

I am blessed to have years in the medical profession so I can often navigate the system. Many of my friends and family members were and are in the same profession. There's bad care and ignorant attitudes for our aging seniors... it does exist. However I still don't believe poor or inadequate care is the norm... I think as you suggested it's the "lack of time, lack of knowledge or the subject."  

Hobbies!!!....so important when one is no longer active in their busy career. I was too busy to develop hobbies outside of my career. Oh I played sports for years but that requires a fit and healthy body which doesn't last into your fifties or sixties as a rule.  I believe it is never too late.... now that I have time I have found several things that hold my interest and keep my mind active. I'd be lost without them... and I hope everyone searches for something that brings them joy and keeps their minds active.  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions. It's greatly appreciated.

~Tuck