Senior Health Community
Heart

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Heart

Hello Doctor I want to know what affects deos a aphrodesiac have on the heart and on a marfans person. Thank you.
Hello Ratchet,

I am sorry that there are not any physicians on this forum. You may want to return to the forum page and look at the right side. There you can find the lists of expert forums headed by physicians.

In my opinion much depends on the type of aphrodisiac to which you are referring. Dark chocolate is considered an aphrodisiac and according to some medical professionals in small amounts dark chocolate can be beneficial to heart health.

From a web-site I found this: "FDA's findings clash with a 5,000-year tradition of pursuing sexual betterment through use of plants, drugs and magic. Despite FDA's determination that OTC aphrodisiacs are ineffective — and sometimes even dangerous — people continue the optimistic quest for drug-induced sexual success."

It is always best to consult with your PCP.

Best of luck to you.

~Tuck
The answer you are looking for probably concerns Viagra.

Viagra causes contraction of the blood vessels around the penis, allowing a normal erection in persons unable to have one.

At the same time it causes contraction of a blood vessel leading to the heart.  This reduces the potential availability of oxygen to the heart. Therefore prescribing Viagra to a person with angine, or on nitroglycerin, is contraindicated.
Angina, not angine...when is this forum going to allow one to correct spelling? Arghhh.
My spell check is at the top of every page that I open. It is on my toolbar menu.  You should be able to add spell check by clicking on your tool bar buttons.

Hope this helps.

Viagra is not really considered an aphrodisiac but you are correct that that may be the question.

~Tuck
Thanx, Tuck!