Aa
A
A
Close
Hemoglobin
70-years-old with steady declines in hemoglobin level. Borderline anemic and still trending downward. So far hematologist can't pinpoint a cause. May have to have a bone marrow test. Thoughts?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
547368 tn?1440545385
Hello Dawgwalker,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. Please excuse my tardy response.

I am sorry to hear that your hemoglobin levels are dropping. I assume your hematocrit levels also low? Do you have some heart or kidney failure? I agree that withdrawing bone marrow, while painful, could provide your health care providers with some answers. This will determine how well the bone marrow is producing RBCs (Red Blood Cells).

I assume you have had serum iron studies to check th, globulin levels, uric acid, ceruloplasmin (copper), and ferritin (iron stores).  

As you know, Hemoglobin (Hgb) is the substance in blood that carries the oxygen and nourishes to our organs and actually our entire body. It is red in color as it carries iron (protein) to our body.

This usually indicates anemia.... but the cause of the anemia (or low hemoglobin) needs to be determined.

I hope you will share with us the outcome of the bone marrow test. Best of luck and please keep in touch.

Take Care,
~Tuck

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Senior Health Community Resources