Senior Health Community
Hot Flashes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hot Flashes

I am 66 years old and still having hot flashes. I have gone through menopause and stopped having periods in my early to mid 50's. I don't remember having hot flashes then, but have starting having them now. Not at night during sleep, only throughout the day.
Related Discussions
547368_tn?1332173665
Hi Betts,

Welcome! Please excuse my tardy response.

I am sorry to hear about your hot flashes. There are some natural herbs or supplements that some women use to reduce these incidents. However be aware that not all supplements are good for us. Some can actually do harm or will interfere with other medications. So be sure to consult with your Pharmacist and Physician for suggestions.

Have you had a recent physical? I would want to rule out other possibilities instead of assuming the your Hot Flashes have just returned. Did you know that medical science has no exact explanation for these extreme  changes in body temperatures. They believe that estrogen reduction triggers them but just how and what else plays a role in this uncomfortable phenomenon is not certain.

Triggers exist. Studies have found that hot and spicy foods, caffeinated beverages and alcohol can trigger hot flashes. It's also believed that smoking plays a role in the severity of Hot Flashes.

Keep your body cool at all times. A cold drink sometimes help when you feel them coming on. If possible keeping your room temperature cool can help. Relaxation techniques help some women to at least in reduce the number or flashes

A few years back most physicians quit prescribing hormone supplements due to the side effects connected with them. Now they have re-thought treatments and some are ordering these supplements. Anit-seizure and antidepressant medications are also being prescribed with varying degrees of effectiveness.

My mom is 79 and claims she is still experiencing Hot Flashes. Sorry, that's not very reassuring for you... or me!

Please consult your physician.... and let us know what he/she has to say. I might consult a GYN as they have the best information in this area. I'll look forward to hearing from you again. Please share with us what you learn.

Take Care,
~Tuck
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Senior Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703