Senior Health Community
How to make my mom to seek medical help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

My mom is 75 years old. Gradually during the past years she started to think that a neighbor family wants to evict her from her apartment  to take it. She thinks the neighbors flush thru the pipes noxious gasses to kill her. Almost on daily basis she go to the hallway to insult the neighbors screaming to stop throwing gases at her. They think she's crazy
I live with her and I smell nothing. I have told her we should seek geriatric or psychiatric help. She told me I was supporting the neighbors because I want to evict her too, so I can take the apartment and get rid of her
She has called the police 3 times, police found nothing. Then she sued our neighbors, police came and check again and found nothing; dismissed the case. She said that was because law is against senior citizens because they are a burden to social security and if she were young her claims will be heard.
I'm worried about the teenagers neighbors, because she scream at them. Teens don't have control of their actions and my mother is very disrespectful with them.
My mother doesn't trust me. My only sister live in another city and she doesn't care. My father suffered from anxiety (he past away several years ago) and I suffer from anxiety too. I don't know how make my mother seek medical help, she's quite normal and very active besides this paranoid thoughts.
Sometimes, a brain tumor can cause a phantom odor.  (See private message.)

Please, take the assertion she is smelling something unpleasant seriously and let her know it can potentially be a sign of something medically wrong with her body.
Unfortunately, this seems to be a case for adult protective services. They will visit and assign a psychiatrist for an interview and evaluation. At that point there may (or may not be) be a guardianship proceeding. They do have the ability to mandate a psychiatric examination. Paranoia is consistent with many disorders.
Yes it is a psychiatric case. I was to suggest cold showers for depression. With the medicine,can she be given cold shower therapy? Quite a long time since we met..
I thought over my suggestion and remembered that the patient will not accept to do cold shower. I know cold shower has many advantages. However, to initiate cold shower is not easy. It requires lots of motivation. To ease the chill of cold water, one can rub his body with wet cloth and then start with cold shower. This is being done in naturo-pathy.This type of patient will always say that 'they are OK. and do not need medication.I was in similar situation with my son. Of course now he is Ok as he is taking meds regularly. Still he refuses to see the doctor on regular basis.There is always a hanging sword of his mood-we do not know when his mood changes. All credit goes to his wife who handles him well and contribute major  part of financial burden.He will not accept my advice of cold shower.I am taking for other benefits. I am fond of experimenting.
Protective services sounds like a good idea to me, I suppose it is supported by Medicare and perhaps you city's social services as well.

If you can talk with them I seems to me they must be equipped/trained to deal with such cases.  In my guess, if someone from there could pose as an inspector looking for the smell she objects to, she would be much more cooperative. This may be too simple or illegal, but I bet it would work better than approaching her as someone looking to find out what is wrong with her.

There are many posts on the ears nose and throat Community about smelling problems.  This isn't one of my problems/knowledge subjects so I haven't read them, but their existence suggests there may be problems other than psychotic that could cause your mother to sense bad odors.
I checked, and here's a post with a response from a medical doctor you may find helpful

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/i-smell-fumes-like-a-mix-of-cigarrettes-and-car-exhaust/show/1914954