Senior Health Community
Is my blood pressure ok for a 60 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to assisted living, caregivers, clinical trials, exercise, financial issues, nutrition, nursing homes, rehabilitation, and sex.

I just started taking 2.5 mg Lisinopril for almost four weeks. My afternoon  systolic BP averages 132. I am about to turn 60. Is this a normal value for someone my age? I hate to think I need to take 5mg, if I don't need to
Hello Fancy,

Welcome to the Senior Health Forum. Please forgive my tardy response. I hope someone has answered your question by now.

If you PCP has prescribed 2.5 mg of Lisinopril please continue to take it. Your systolic B/P will probably be acceptable to him/her. Is your diastolic also within limits of normal (WLN)?

Of course this decision will be completely between you and your physician. It matters what your B/P is through out the day. It should be WLN through the vast majority of the time. High blood pressure is dangerous. Controlling your B/P is very important. When you weight the pros and cons the medication usually always wins out over uncontrolled B/P.

Please keep in touch and let us know what your physician has to say. Best of luck to you.

Peace,
~Tuck